1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

About Sussex Chickens!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CashmereSussex, Mar 28, 2007.

1. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Hi im wondering about sussex chicken, im new to the breed but i have a light Sussex rooster and 4 pullets, i want to know a bit about the breed and how to choose a show quality one, it would be highly apprieciated, as im only 14 i dont know much about the breed and it is hard to find information of the breed over the internet and books:)

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Have you tried Feathersite. They usually have breed club information on the page with each breed. I feel sure there must be a breed club in England at the least. If you contact the club I am sure they could help you.

3. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Sussex are great, I started off with them at 12, three years ago.

The addresses of the breed club secreataries are

The Sussex Club
    Mr. M. N. Raisey
    Rosebarn Farm, Burlscombe
    Tiverton, Devon EX16 7JJ
    England
    phone: 00441823672789

The Scottish Sussex Club
    Mrs. R. Airken
    Hillberry, Dunnotter, Stonehaven,
    Kincardinshire, AB3 2XB
    Scotland
    phone: 00441569766775

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sussex/BRKSussex.html

You can find details of the breed standard in a book called the standard of perfection (US) and British poultry standards (UK) but the books are expensive.

4. dragon

dragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    brainerd mn
    eye candy

5. CashmereSussex

Mar 28, 2007
    well i live in Australia so i can't really ring those numbers

6. CashmereSussex

Mar 28, 2007
    also what type of combs are sussex supposed to have i have one with a single comb and one with a pea comb

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The Sussex are supposed to have a single comb. I'm hatching Speckled Sussex right now.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My earlier order from Sandhill, I had three Red Sussex and they are lovely but one of them had yellow legs instead of white.

I like the Speckled Sussex of all the Sussex chicken breed, they are flashy and sweet disposition of a bird!

9. CashmereSussex

Mar 28, 2007
    its weird though my purebred sussex hen has a pea comb instead of a single, is that bad breeding? i was recently given her.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My guess is that she had a peacombed ancestor somewhere and really isn't a purebred, but I dont have that much experience with the breed. I did research it and have some hatching and I've never heard of a Sussex with a pea comb. Single comb is the breed standard. Are you sure it's a Sussex at all? The Russian Orloffs are colored similarly, but have a comb similar to a pea comb, but with sort of beards and muffs. Wonder if it's a cross.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by