? about the cornish game fowl

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by s.cha, Apr 4, 2009.

1. s.cha

s.cha Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2009
    minnesota
    i'm wondering how's the temperment of the cornish game fowls???i'm planning on buying a trio this weekend and i'm just wondering how their temperment is cause rite now i have a rooster at home and i dont want them fighting.....and can somebody show me a picture of the large cornish game fowl....compared to the bantam size...???

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I do not have an answer for you but maybe getting this back on top will help.

3. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan
    I am looking for the same info. I will be having a few other roos I'm keeping for producing replacement layers. I would like know if a cornish roo will cause any trouble if housed with other males.

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    My Standard Cornish are the exhibition type and are very mellow with people. None of mine have ever made any kind of aggressive move towards me. I just walk in and pick them up, no chasing, no fuss. I love them, they are my chunky cuddle monkeys.

If they weren't raised with the other roosters, I would not put a strange adult rooster in with another. I don't know how much space they would need to be ok with another rooster being around.

My roos are ok at shows, they posture ect. but haven't started any trouble with surrounding roos. At home though with hens they much more territorial with other roos. I don't know if they would try to kill each other, but they are so strong I wouldn't want to test it.

My younsters do not have any trouble staying together. As long as they were raised together, there isn't a problem.

Holding a large cornish is like picking up a bowling ball. I have no experience with the bantams, but standard are Heavy. You don't want to get stuck carrying one around.

5. birdygal

birdygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    My husband brought home what he said were Cornish game fowl. they look like chickens to me so am not even certain he got waht he thought at auction, but if they are, they are the sweetest birds. I am checking pics after posting because it is strange. they seem like chickens to me. [​IMG]

6. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:I love your knowledgeable post on Cornish! [​IMG] They're interesting birds. What is their natural lifespan?

7. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:Can you take photos of yours tomorrow & post for the peanut gallery? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. birdygal

birdygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    7&8 :

Quote:Can you take photos of yours tomorrow & post for the peanut gallery? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well I found them on the breed section and they do look like Cornish game. I did not think as a new poster I could do any pictures.? But they are the best and sweetest birds so as far as I know the white ones a great.The hens of the breed are also smarter than the other hens we have.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by