About the new peeps...this week! ADVICE needed!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paganfish, Jan 30, 2008.

1. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    I should be getting my other 25 peeps either tomorrow (ugh!) or the following day (UGH!). I have one concern and was wondering if you could help put my mind at ease.

As I mentioned...I plan on separating the peeps that come this week from the peeps that are here now just because of pecking order. One being bigger than the other. There would be a thin wall of cardboard dividing said birds.

However, should I have them THAT close together? I mean, can one transmit some virus or disease to the other? I am mostly worried about the ones I have there now. They are doing SO good and would hate to jeopardize them in any way. Am I being needlessly worried about this?

The peeps I have now are eating feed that is medically treated (it's the only one the feed store carries) so would this be enough protection for/to them? Or is there something else I should do/give them? They are coming from the same hatchery and all that...but, still. Should I be worried? I would hate to have them separated in different rooms! I don't want to do that either...

Geesh! I am SO nervous! Any help would be appreciated!!!

HELP!!! [​IMG]

Pedro

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Well , I don't know that I have the best advice , but I can tell you that I have bought chicks a couple of weeks apart before and have had no problem with pecking order or disease . But I also go by the old way of my grandmother , as she says "We never wormed , gave shots to our animals and they were just fine ." She was a ranch wife/helper to her husband for 60 yrs.[​IMG]

3. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Thanks! You have relieved a HUGE load of pressure of my chest. I was thinking along those same lines that they would be FINE but someone mentioned the disease part and I swear...I had never even given that any thought. Until then! Some friend, huh?

I will sleep better tonight...

I agree with your grandmother's view...I just do the natural way with things and hope for the best. I just had to deal with 25 + dead chicks last week and am a bit jumpy, I guess. [​IMG]

Peace-

Pedro [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just put them together. As chicks from the same place, since they are chicks, they shouldn't have any diseases. A week or two old, they won't have any pecking order down and are just furry masses. Pecking order integration problems rarely start till some hormones really kick in. I don't observe picking from chicks to chicks in any serious manner till about a month old, provided they have enough space. Medicated feed is probably for just cocci, and that is something found in soil. The meds will help them build a resistance.

Put them together and let them go!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You shouldn't have any real issues with disease or pecking order, Pedro. I put in chicks a couple of weeks apart in age when I have staggered hatches without any real problems.

6. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Thanks Speckeld and Silkie. [​IMG]

I think I will put them ALL together. It sure will make my life easier. Whew!

OMG!!! I can't wait! [​IMG]

I feel SO much better...thanks y'all! [​IMG]

Pedro [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're welcome! [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    See pedro, it'll be fine! You already had your spell of bad luck, so you're good to go! [​IMG]

9. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Well any chickies yet?

10. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    No...no chicks yet. I was hoping I'd get them today...

[​IMG]

I called Welp and they said the chicks should be here tomorrow...

One more day of worry! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pedro

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by