About the Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Foggy124, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Foggy124

Foggy124 Hatching

Mar 15, 2011
    I have a question for anyone who might know. I had a rooster, that went missing a few days ago. I allow my birds to free range and think that a neighbor may have taken him and penned him with their flock. They never had a rooster till recently and he's crowing a lot. I'm thinking he wants to get back to his 'girls'. Will my girls hear him and go seek him out? I'm afraid the neighbor is in hopes of getting my flock by taking the rooster. [​IMG] Sad to say.

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If his crows haven't attracted them in a few days, I think it's unlikely. Chickens are pretty good about knowing where their coop is and returning to it. Mine are often turned loose, free to leave, and have always returned at night.

That's just low of your neighbor. I'd be very tempted to go over and pick him up, and apologize for my rooster having wandered onto his property.

Welcome to BYC! And sorry this had to be your introduction.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Dawn. I'd be paying the neighbor a visit and apologizing for my rooster bothering them, then carry that roo back home. Some people! [​IMG]

4. Foggy124

Foggy124 Hatching

Mar 15, 2011
    Thank you guys for the replies. I've been sticking pretty close to them the last few days, just to make sure they don't wander. I did visit the neighbor and let them know I was missing my fella; no need to go any further. I have a friend bringing me one from my own flock of last falls hatching. I was just worried about losing the girls too.

I've been following backyardchickens for a couple of years, just never posted. But I love reading and have gained so much knowledge from you guys! I'm glad to be a part of your community. I so enjoy my birds and have enticed at least a couple of friends to get involved with raising chickens also. The rest just love our fresh eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: