About the Same Chick

HenMomma7650

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Hi this is the same chick about my other question. The chick is maybe 6 days old now and something new has occurred. Since this chick was a surprise we warm up 3 bags of water and put towels on top so the bags stay warm throughout the night.
But today I went to a massage and a small errand for about 3 hours, but I changed his home this time. I put only one warm bag of water in a corner with a towel on the bag then a towel on the walls like a tent to keep the heat. He chirped but I kept my hand inside until I had to leave. I left food and water which I know he can eat and drink by him self.
Anyway I get home from shopping and hear him chirping. I cuddle with him for about half an hour and I’m in his favorite cuddle position(I put on a hood and hold one side with my hand with his other side behind my ear) but he still chirping!!! I look it up and it might be distress chirping?? He is quiet now taking a nap and he has been eating and drinking, but he has been running to me more. He will only spend a couple of seconds eating and drinking and he comes running back to me! He jumps very high too so even if I sit up straight he’ll find a way into my hood.
Is there any reason behind the chirping?? Is it something mental that could stay with him or is it just some small trauma that will only last a day?

I go to work tomorrow and will be gone for several hours and I don’t want to leave him alone if it is serious! I saw a comment on putting his three other siblings with him so he may not be lonely and to bond with them but we don’t have proper stuff for all the babies together plus I’m scared the momma will disown the babies.
many tips?

At 6 days old, the chick needs a heat lamp and a proper brooder, as well as chick friends. I would bet he is cold and lonely - literally.
Thanks so much I guess that is best. He has 3 siblings and the last time they met the mother just kept on pecking at him and he seemed scared of them. I’ll have no choice to add his to the flock :fl I hope he’ll be okay

Thanks so much I guess that is best. He has 3 siblings and the last time they met the mother just kept on pecking at him and he seemed scared of them. I’ll have no choice to add his to the flock :fl I hope he’ll be okay
I would integrate him slowly; if they don’t accept it right away, I would get a heat lamp, a stuffed animal and a mirror and put that in a brooder. Then maybe once a little older you can integrate using the see but can’t touch method...

Back
Top Bottom