1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

About their grit....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenWisperer, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    My babies are about a month and a week old now, and im not sure what kind of grit to use - since their growing up. Any help? lol. I just dont know when they need real grit instead of sand grit.

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    You could always give them a wee bit of grass with a big clod of dirt on it. That works!

The feed and seeds near me have different sizes of grit, from tiny to pretty freaking big. If you really want to buy grit, just get some tiny and go from there [​IMG]

PS I only feed babies start and grow until 1 month, and by then they are usually feathered, out of the brooder, and can forage in the run enough natural grit. Are yours out of the brooder yet?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    No, mine arent out of the brooder yet - but they are almost fully feathered. The coop i have wont be safe for them until their older, they could probably still get out! But thanks for the info, i think i know what to do now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by