About those metal waterers... I can't figure out the design

QChickieMama

Songster
8 Years
Oct 1, 2011
I'm trying to hang these double-walled metal waterers.

But, the handle on the top is an oval. That's what I'm attaching to an S hook. However, there's no notch in the oval handle to keep the S hook in the center of the oval. Sooooo, it's just a matter of time before the waterer slips cockeyed and spills all the water.

What am I missing here? This seems like such an easy thing for the maker to put a notch in the handle. Ugh.

I can do some handy sorts of things, but I don't know how to bend this sturdy metal. Advice?

Tigertrea

Songster
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
LaSalle Ontario Canada
I believe it is because they are not "meant" to be hung? There was another thread on this and somebody suggested putting a bend in the handle yourself or using besides an S hook. I don'[t know the name of what they were using but it had 2 hooks.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I don't think they are meant to hang. Most people pit them up on bricks or blocks of wood. If they were hanging each time a chicken would drink it would probably tilt and spill. Those things have to be level or they will spill anyway.

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
My double walled fount waterer says you are supposed to carry it by the inner handle when it is full of water. When I put the top on, if I pick it up by the outside top handle to move it, it seems to affect the suction/drainage -- I don't think they design it to be hung up.

QChickieMama

Songster
8 Years
Oct 1, 2011
My double walled fount waterer says you are supposed to carry it by the inner handle when it is full of water. When I put the top on, if I pick it up by the outside top handle to move it, it seems to affect the suction/drainage -- I don't think they design it to be hung up.
Huh. Well, waddayaknow. I got them to hang in my wire-bottomed cages. This explains why they couldn't put a notch in the handle.

Guess I need to buy 2 new hanging waterers. Bummer.

Top Bottom