About to build a new coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hungry4eggs, Feb 12, 2013.

1. hungry4eggs

hungry4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    I am about to build a new coop, with the help of a freind who is a builder, and was wondering about using OCB. Can I paint it and use it for the exterior to save on ply wood cost. We are going to build an 8x8 coop with a large run or two. I have seen a couple designs on this site using only OSB, and was wondering if anyone had experience doing this.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Absolutely. We use it all the time instead of regular plywood. Saves on cost. We stain ours, but you can also paint it as well. I am not sure about painting the inside of the coop as I know with my birds, they will occasionally pick at the bits of loose wood that hangs of OSB and I wouldn't want them to eat wood with paint on it. I did not paint the inside of my coop where chickens could get a hold of it. They have eaten pieces of stained wood however, and everybody is still alive. :)

3. hungry4eggs

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    Thanks, I didn't plan on painting the inside but that is still good to know. Between using OSB and my buddy being kind enough to donate nails, tools, and his time, this should turn out well after all.

4. bellaleah

bellaleah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    maine
    can i ask what OSB is? my husband and i will be building our first coop this spring. always interested to know things that save money! thanks, julie

5. OSB stands for Oriented Strand Board a sheet good usually measuring 4' x 8' and can be used in lieu of plywood in certain applications

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Look into 'Smartside' siding from Lowes. I cost less than T-111, and less than OSB. It looks a whole lot better than OSB, and it will outlast it. Unless you cover OSB with some kind of siding(like vinyl siding), it WILL fall apart eventually. I've used the 'Smartside' on my coop, and after 3 yrs, it looks as good as the day I put it up. It comes with something like a 50yr guarantee. It is a good siding.
    Jack

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. hungry4eggs

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia

Thanks I definitely will.

8. bellaleah

bellaleah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    maine
    thanks, i will definately look into this. do i need to insulate my coop, we live in maine. can you use in for the flooring as well or just the sides? and what do you use for the roof? thanks so much, julie

thankyou, i never heard of it.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I see the Smartside 8"oc board on batten paneling. . . 4' x 8' x .32 inches thick for $25. That's pretty thin for sheathing isn't it?

10. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    The price has gone up on Smartside, no surprise though, what hasn't gone up. When I bought mine, it was something like $17 a sheet. The siding is 3/8s of an inch. Plenty good for the sides of a chicken coop. Like I said, I built my coop three years ago, and the siding has held up great. I get all kinds of weather here, from below freezing to over 100F. Rain, snow, sleet, and the siding has held up with no problems.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by