1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

About to fire up the bator again and I have a broody hen!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster-red, Jul 20, 2008.

1. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I had said I was through with my bator for the rest of the year, its been cleaned, wrapped in plastic and put away neatly.

Then Iris, one of my EE's goes broody. I've been trying to break her for a week now.

Now another BYC member came by today to pickup my 2 Black silkie roo's and brought me 10 Ameraucana and 14 BR hatching eggs (for which I'm very greatful since my own have been throwing 80% roo's) So of course I'm going to set my broody up to hatch a few and drag the bator back out to incubate the rest.

Life is good! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG] Hoorayyyy for hatching more eggs!! [​IMG] Good luck!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Iris again?~! Wow, you should drive up here and get some Blue Orpington hatching eggs for her sometime, Lee. Apparently, she's going to continue doing this. Did Hazel hatch out her babies okay, cant remember?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  4. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Oh you would mention those , wouldn't you!

I'm in process of clearing a spot for coop #3 now, and DW wants me to find some BO pullets for "her" BO roo (Whom she swiped from me) so that will require coop #4, but I would still have room to build coop #5... I better get to surfing craigslist for more fee material quick!

5. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Hazel has 4 babies and is the gretest Mom ever!

She wouldn't back down if a bear were after the babies!
    They are really BR babies, 3 pure and 1 BR X Andalusion, who looks like a BR with funky colored legs.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aw, and I sold you both of those wonderful girls, too! Well, no one better to take care of my sweet ladies than you. That's so great!

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I hope to get more like them from these green eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by