about to go into day 24 and only 2 chicks and no more pips!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, May 13, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    [​IMG] I am going into day 24 and still no pips after just 2 chicks hatched! [​IMG] I got a jap and and chick that I don't know what is!! this was supposed to be a nankin but obviously is NOT a nankin, [​IMG] I think I got the eggs mixed up with some of my polish eggs from the same coop b/c the nankins are with 2 WCB polish hens so this may be a polis-nankin cross which is really weird! it's solid black w/ a RC and no crest. so disappointing to not be a nankin! [​IMG] we didn't get any out of the last hatch either!! no signs of pips or rocking and I am going to have to open it and get the 2 babies out ... I want to let the eggs keep going just in case not sure what to do!!!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

What kind of bator do you have? And I am VERY familiar with failed hatches. [​IMG]

3. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have an LG still air w/ egg turner running steady temps of 102 to 101 then I borrowed a hovabator still air to use as a hatcher that has ran a steady temp of 100-101. I moved them into the hovabator on lock-down a filled all the voids with water and have ubes running into them so I can remote fill. The reason I am using the other one is b/c I have ducks due next week and wanted to keep them turning. this is my 3rd hatch this year and all have not gone well...I just don't know where I am going wrong!! I wish one of my hens would go broody!!! how long is to long for the eggs? I may try taking them into the bathroom with the hot shower going and candle some to see whats going on....

4. debilorrah

Gosh if I were you, with the bad rep that the LG has, I would use the hovabator for a bator and the LG for hatching!!! What about your hygrometer? Have you calibrated it?

5. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    yes my hydrometer is like 5 degrees off but I watch it...it's bee pretty humid here like 90% outside

6. debilorrah

I would suggest calibrating it again before your next hatch. Mine is all over the map leading me to believe I need a different one. I have had so many 30% hatches it isn't even funny!

7. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    [​IMG] thanks for the comfort! I am sorry you are having bad luck also!! I hope to get at least a couple of ducks but we shall see [​IMG]

8. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Are they still wiggling at all?...If not, I would candle them for movement, and this is just me, but if it's way past the time and I see movement, I'll help...

9. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    nope nothing [​IMG] they are gone... I have GOT to get the humidity right!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by