About to Hatch Eggs...What now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shogun99, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Ok so I bought an incubator and some eggs will be arriving in the mail soon. Below is the incubator that I purchased:

Brand new #1602 Hova-Bator Incubator. Complete with thermometer, snap action thermostat, liner, ready to plug in. Has two 5" x 4" observation windows. 18" x 18" x 9-1/4" 110 volt. (Picture shows incubator with fan; this one does not include the fan)

My question is...what now? Once I get the eggs and the incubator, what do I do? What do I need to know to minimize the mortality rate of the eggs? I know I need to turn them at least 2x a day but how do I keep humidity in the incubator?

This might sound stupid, but I need some assistance as I don't want my Japanse Bantams to perish! Help!

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Have you picked up a copy of "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" or completed an internet search on incubation at all?

Also try using the 'search' feature on this forum and reading archived posts.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Monitor your humidity with a digital hydrometer. As need simply add water. You'll get the hang of it.

The model incubator you purchased has a ether filled wafer thermostat. I suggest you get a spare to keep on hand. If it goes out (which they can be unpredictable) you will need a replacement fast and it won't wait a few days for you to find one. It will ASAP or the loss of your hatch.

Go to the library while you are waiting and get some books on hatching. Read. Read. Read.

Good luck.

4. Shogun99

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Where can I get a cheap but efficient digital thermometer? And isthe incubator tht I got sufficient?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You'll have to learn to use it. You'll have to keep it in a super stable envrionment - like a closet in the center of your house with the least traffic and temperature changes. Just like any thing you have to learn the quirky features and how to adapt to them.

You can get a good digital hydrometer for about $10 in most stores like Walmart, Kmart etc.

6. Shogun99

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    I will try that! Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by