1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

About to hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by acarr777, May 31, 2016.

1. acarr777

acarr777 Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    Okay,
    My second batch of eggs are about to hatch....The first one only yielded 2 chicks out of 3 dozen eggs....I am trying to make sure we have more chicks hatch this time. Some of them have begun to pip. How long can the hatch chicks stay in the incubator? I don't want to open the incubator and screw it up again.

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I'm kinda hands on. If humidity is up around 75. I take my chicks out when dry and fluffy. That and chick soccer with unhatched eggs bugs me.

But I also open to candle and assist chicks that have issues hatching.

But if needed they can stay for a day or longer in incubator.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2. I am totally hands on, no kinda here. I remove my chicks as they become active. It's a personal thing. Many people are hands off and will not open that bator until the hatch is over. They will leave chicks in there for 2 days. Then some people remove them as they become dry and fluff up. You need to find your comfort level and remember if you move them during hatch you need to make sure your humidity is up and it recovers quickly after you shut it.

4. acarr777

acarr777 Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    Okay, so opening it just to remove them is alright then. So long as it is quick. I teach a class of children with autism and I do not want to disappoint them again. So far I have 4 eggs with pip's. I am leaving now to go home so I am expecting to see some progression by tomorrow morning.
    I have 2 6 week old chicks in the classroom as well from the last hatch. I will be putting the new chicks in a different enclosure. That is correct right? Also the 6 week olds should be able to regulate their own temperature by now right? I will need to have the heat lamp on the new chicks. It is not currently pointing at them now, just attached to the side and facing upward adding a little heat.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    At 6 weeks they should be feathered in and shouldn't need the lamp. Bless you. Teaching special needs can be a challenge. Especially when something doesn't go as planned. And yes, they would need to be seperated for a while at least.

6. acarr777

acarr777 Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
    They hatched!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  7. acarr777

acarr777 Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    [​IMG]But.... What is wrong with these 2? They won't stand. I had one like this from the last batch[​IMG] He didn't make it so I am afraid these will too. Any ideas?[​IMG]

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Great! Congrats! What did the kids think about them???

9. acarr777

acarr777 Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    They were super excited! And so was Magnolia, Our service dog!

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The one on the right looks (it's hard to tell through pics) almost as though maybe a slipped tendon. I have never had to deal with slipped tendons but there is videos and info on it if you google it that would help you determine if that may be the case. The one on the left I can not tell, but the toes look stunted, very short. I've never seen toes that short. As a matter of fact, now that I've looked again, the leg looks short. I'd say developmental issues. It could just be the pic, but that's what it looks like from here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by