1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

about to lay or egg bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cms1113, Mar 24, 2009.

1. cms1113

cms1113 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    My serama just started laying last week. I was checking her for bugs and noticed that by her vent it feels hard, like she's ready to pop an egg out any second. She didn't lay an egg yesterday but no big deal. But is this hard spot normal when about to lay?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If she is eggbound you really can feel egg there. Check her again.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    if she is egg bound, she may walk very oddly, sit in the nest for long periods of time without laying anything etc.

just missing one day of laying is not necessarily egg binding.

if you do plan on checking for an egg, use lots of lubricant and be VERY careful. if there is egg there and it breaks, infection can follow.

give her a day or two and watch for the other signs before going in.

blessings for a healthy hen. [​IMG]

4. cms1113

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    Quote:I checked her again and im not sure! She's in the nest now, i'll check to see if she lays anything. But i think it was yesterday, the day with no egg, that i recall her sitting in the nest as if she was going to lay but she didn't. I felt my other hen and i feel nothing firm at all near her vent area.

She's been in the nest for about 45-60 min, is that normal? Usually she sits in the nest to lay and then she's out.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  5. cms1113

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    FALSE ALARM!!! SHE LAYED AN EGG!

Thanks for the help!
    This will be the first egg of hers i eat, the others i saved and put in the incubator

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:you're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by