About to lay? or just acting weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lingbot, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lingbot

lingbot Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    Los Altos, CA
    I have 2 RIR's aged 16 weeks and 1 Buff orpington around 18 weeks. In the last 2 days, they've started spending almost their entire day in the coop (it's part of an enclosed run). It's a very unusual change b/c before they spent most of their time outside scratching about in the run. I can't really tell what they are doing in there but they aren't roosting, they seem to be just sitting inside the coop behind the door on the pine bedding (where I can't see them). I was concerned the first day b/c i didn't see them come out that mucn to eat or drink. Today I put some food in the coop and looks like they ate most of that when i checked on them after work. Do you think they are getting ready to lay? It seems a little early for that. I looked around in the coop for an egg but just saw lots of poop.

Or maybe they are just having parties inside the coop where I can't see them from the webcam.

2. richnchicks

richnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    weatherford, tx.
    I have 8, 17 week old hens. once it turned hot-90's and 100's, they started going inside out of the sun, they are out morning and evening and when it's cloudy and cool.
    rich

3. lingbot

lingbot Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    Los Altos, CA
    Hmm, the weather here is in the low 80's and their run is shady as well so not sure they are seeking shelter from heat.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hens will act real strange when they are getting ready to lay an egg. From what i've observed, they hang around the nest boxes, looking all around the coop, making fretful noises. They know something is about to happen, but not sure what or where to do it.

Your kids are on the early end of laying, but could very well be ready now. Have they started squatting for you yet? Are their combs and wattles turning red? Those are pretty definite signs.

5. citychickers

citychickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Littleton Colorado
    Mine are doing the same thing. They seem to be wanting a break from the heat and keep burrowing into the wood chips. I thought it was to stay cool, although I'll admit I keep peaking for eggs too! I have 5 out of 7 hens doing this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by