about to let my broody hen have her way. what should her diet be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigj, Aug 30, 2010.

1. bigj

bigj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Wellborn
    super fluffy chicken (thats her name) wants to hatch some chicks and since im all bummed out due to having to put one of my pullets down this morning i think im going to bend to her will. all my birds at the moment are on layena. should sfc be on a starter grower while sitting on the eggs? im thinking the higher protien feed will make it a bit easier on her and the medicated feed may help the chicks too. ill post some background and pics later, glad to be a member of byc! thanks in advance.

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I wouldn't give her Medicated Chick Starter - Maybe just plain Chick Starter. [​IMG]
    If you want her to have more protein, try Scrambled or Boiled eggs ( Shells and All ). Maybe some Black Oil Sunflower Seeds as well. [​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]

You could also try game bird feed if you are worried about how much protien she is getting. I wouldn't use any medicated kind though.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    She will be fine with the layena. Just add alittle protein like boiled or scrambled eggs, tuna fish or moist cat food once in awhile to help. If and when the chicks hatch out she can be on the same thing they are medicated or not starter/grower.

5. bigj

bigj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Wellborn
    Thanks for the advice. I hadnt even thought of adding to her current diet. Scrambled eggs it is! She loves em scrambled and hopefully hatched too. well see!

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    She won't be eating much while brooding. She'll just grab a few mouthfuls when she takes a brief break from sitting on the eggs. Make sure water is nearby as well as feed so she doesn't have to go looking too far for them. All of my hens adored taking dust baths while brooding, too.

Which reminds me...before she starts sitting, make sure the nestbox is clean and free from mites. I put a layer of poultry dust in the bottom of the box then put fresh bedding over it.

Also, try to make sure the nest is someplace shaded that doesn't get too hot in the daytime sun.

7. bigj

bigj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Wellborn
    Will do. i had to sit with her tonight untill it was too dark for her to go back to the nesting box. Shes a persistent fluff ball. I would have let her start tonight but there was only one egg available and I hadn't yet cleaned out the honeymoon suite where shell be seperated from the other birds. Shell be in constant shade unless she steps out into the suites little yard which ill have open for her untill I go to work in the afternoon. Already had to fend off a racoon with a 3 foot shovel a few weeks ago and that was right at sundown. Ive been reading where snakes can get eggs out from under a broody hen. any thoughts on leaving another chicken with her during this period? To sortof scare off any snakes that happen by? I have my doubts about a chicken doing anything at night and im not sure how another chicken might treat her while shes sitting. Ill probably just check her often and see whats what.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by