About to Lockdown!!! NEED help!

vava_voom

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
so I've got the MagicFlt incubator and I'm on night 18!!! I'm worried about humidity after lockdown as there's no easy place to add water other than the little air hole at the top of the incubator. Has anyone added water that way? Am I taking lockdown too seriously , or am I able to briefly open the incubator to add water during lockdown and hatch??? Thanks!

so I've got the MagicFlt incubator and I'm on night 18!!! I'm worried about humidity after lockdown as there's no easy place to add water other than the little air hole at the top of the incubator. Has anyone added water that way? Am I taking lockdown too seriously , or am I able to briefly open the incubator to add water during lockdown and hatch??? Thanks!
:welcome Yes, you are taking it too seriously. Don't worry about opening it to add water if you have too. Some of us open the incubators at will through the entire hatch. Just keep the humidity up, that's the important thing.

I add water during lockdown if needed by using a large syringe like a turkey injector without the plunger and a piece of plastic tubing. I insert the tubing through the air hole and line it up over the water trough and insert the syringe body into the tubing. Then pour warm water into the syringe body.

Straw.JPG

Many people like Amy open their incubators all the time and don't have problems. I have caused a chick to be shrink-wrapped by opening mine so I take the threat a little more seriously. If I have a problem inside the incubator I'll open it to deal with it, and it very rarely causes a problem, the threat really is pretty low.

I hardly ever have to add water during lockdown, but I have on a few occasions. When I do, I use this. I got the syringe at Tractor Supply, the accordion straws were probably from Walmart.

I'm not familiar with your incubator, though I see it is a Brinsea, they make good incubators. I can reach every water reservoir in mine with this straw contraption, though a couple take some work. I go in through the vent in the top of mine.

View attachment 1022117

Many people like Amy open their incubators all the time and don't have problems. I have caused a chick to be shrink-wrapped by opening mine so I take the threat a little more seriously. If I have a problem inside the incubator I'll open it to deal with it, and it very rarely causes a problem, the threat really is pretty low.

I hardly ever have to add water during lockdown, but I have on a few occasions. When I do, I use this. I got the syringe at Tractor Supply, the accordion straws were probably from Walmart.

I'm not familiar with your incubator, though I see it is a Brinsea, they make good incubators. I can reach every water reservoir in mine with this straw contraption, though a couple take some work. I go in through the vent in the top of mine.
She has the magicfly incubator, aren't they an independent brand? I didn't think they were associated with Brinsea?

I thought I saw Brinsea when I Googled it but can't find that now. It's very possible I made a mistake.

Further checking say it is an Amazon based company with plans to go independent, so yes, I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom