About to move my duckies outside...

ColleenRyan

Songster
Apr 9, 2018
hi guys! So I incubated and hatched 6 ducklings this spring. They’re my little babies but they’re getting big now and I’m moving Them to their hutch outside soon. I have a secure hutch for them to be locked in at night. The whole area is going to be fenced in for them during the day. Hardware cloth wiring for an apron, for the roof, the floor and any reinforcements for the fence. I just ordered “predator eyes” to put inside the fenced in area. I saw something you can buy that uses ultrasonic noises to repel predators but I’m not sure if that would bother the ducks as well? I also saw a repellent for predators is pure wolf urine?? I guess you spray it around your yard. I have four dogs though and I don’t want them to feel uncomfortable. I just need to ensure nothing will break into their safe space. The only time I’ll let them free roam the yard is when I’ll be outside with them. I’m not taking any chances this time. Has anyone ever had success raising duckies and not having anything get to them? I feel like I just hear so many horror stories and I would rather bring the ducks inside to sleep every night than to deal with losing them honestly. I’ll do anything for them so if you have any suggestions, even if they seem crazy, please share them with me! Thanks so much!

Have you heard of Night Guard? It is a red light that flashes to keep any predators from coming around. I would look into that. I have my ducks outside and was worried sick when it was there first night out, but they are still alive and doing great! I only have one dog and have never seen anything but a fox which ran across the street....away from my house. Good luck and keep use updated.

Have you heard of Night Guard? It is a red light that flashes to keep any predators from coming around. I would look into that. I have my ducks outside and was worried sick when it was there first night out, but they are still alive and doing great! I only have one dog and have never seen anything but a fox which ran across the street....away from my house. Good luck and keep use updated.

Hi! Thanks so much for your response. I actually just ordered it today! How many would you suggest getting? I just got one to see how it worked but Ive heard great things. I had three ducks (two of whom were the parents to my ducklings) but predators got to them this spring so I’m a little traumatized by that. They were just free roaming the yard though, I’m not going to let their babies do that (even as adults) but I don’t want any predator to put a target on them since they’ll always be in the same location if that makes any sense!

Hi! Thanks so much for your response. I actually just ordered it today! How many would you suggest getting? I just got one to see how it worked but Ive heard great things. I had three ducks (two of whom were the parents to my ducklings) but predators got to them this spring so I’m a little traumatized by that. They were just free roaming the yard though, I’m not going to let their babies do that (even as adults) but I don’t want any predator to put a target on them since they’ll always be in the same location if that makes any sense!
Makes total sense! I think 2-3 would be good...depending on if you are putting them around the run or just the coop. BTW do you have a run? If you are not going to be free ranging I suggest letting you ducks into a run. I think this will keep predators away!

If your dogs are good with your birds, that is your best defense.... (some people have dogs that would kill their birds which is a very difficult situation). Wolf pee is gonna upset your dogs for sure... LOL.
Just me sayin...I truly do not see how a red led light (for 26 dolla make you holla) is going to do anything. Put a smoke detector out there probably do you more good. What part of the country are you in? How big are your ducklings? Don't let them out too small. Predators won't even see that blinking light in the daytime which, if your coop is secure, should be the only time they are exposed to predation. All these gimmicks are cool and all, but (just my opinion here) I do not see how that thing would work. As for the ultrasonic thing.... I have no opinion other than that I would not get one. but who knows. Some people might swear by them.

Last edited:
I don't have any of these deterrents but have read about them on the chicken forum. The consensus is that these things might work temporarily, but not long term as the animals will become use to them and it will not bother them after awhile. I think the best thing is to have a secure house, then the best run you can manage. I use electric wire around the bottom half of my run - if I were going to recommend any deterrent, that would be it.

Makes total sense! I think 2-3 would be good...depending on if you are putting them around the run or just the coop. BTW do you have a run? If you are not going to be free ranging I suggest letting you ducks into a run. I think this will keep predators away!

What exactly is a run?

If your dogs are good with your birds, that is your best defense.... (some people have dogs that would kill their birds which is a very difficult situation). Wolf pee is gonna upset your dogs for sure... LOL.
Just me sayin...I truly do not see how a red led light (for 26 dolla make you holla) is going to do anything. Put a smoke detector out there probably do you more good. What part of the country are you in? How big are your ducklings? Don't let them out too small. Predators won't even see that blinking light in the daytime which, if your coop is secure, should be the only time they are exposed to predation. All these gimmicks are cool and all, but (just my opinion here) I do not see how that thing would work. As for the ultrasonic thing.... I have no opinion other than that I would not get one. but who knows. Some people might swear by them.

I’m actually in a really suburban area in NJ and my ducklings are pretty big. They have most of their feathers but their heads are still fluffy. I’m gojng to keep them inside as long as possible but I have six of them so that’s not practical forever. They get daily baths though and get to spend time swimming in my bathroom tub and I hold them and spend lots of time with them. My dogs are really good with the ducks but they spend most of their time inside besides for going to the bathroom. I’m ddfinitely going to give the lights a try but I wasn’t too sure of the ultrasonic thing.

Back
Top Bottom