? about using linoleum in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by slurrywidow, Nov 18, 2010.

1. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Hi all. I am just starting out on this venture into the world of chickens. I've been reading and reading posts and MANY of my questions have already been answered by looking over old posts. So thank you all for all of the information here on BYC. [​IMG] I drew up plans and am starting to build my own movable coop and I have a question about when to apply the linoleum that I'd like to cover the floor with.

Is it better to cover the floor with linoleum and THEN attach my wall frames? Or should I attach my wall frames first and then fit the linoleum to the inside of the wall framing?

2. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    For me, I frame first then add the flooring. I understand why people do it the other way but I think for ease of replacement, repair and otherwise not having it under the frame is the way to go. Having under the frame does keep it flat and keep the edges from curling since it's sandwiched. Which, if you frame first, could be solved by using floor trim.

Ed

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I did the same. Wall framing first, then vinyl.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    That's how we did it, but if i had it to do again, i would put the vinyl down and then the wall frames. We ended up having to use boards inside the coop, to keep the edges of the linoleum down, and it the coop would be much easier to clean without those boards around the edges.

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    One nice thing to do is run the linoleum up the wall a couple feet.

6. kbu

kbu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    we did frame work then put down the flooring (shower stall panel) and then the plywood for the wall to hold it down then caulk around the edge to make it better for cleanning.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you do walls first, you can get a much better seal between wall and floor, making it far less likely you will get water damage at the bottoms of the walls.

I like the suggestion of running the linoleum up the walls a ways; much easier to clean that way.

8. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah, we did it this way too with linoleum tiles and some of them came loose. But with a little of the glue I was able to keep them down. I probably would do it differently the next time and go ahead and put the tiles down while the entire floor pan is exposed that way when I frame in the walls they will help keep the tiles in place, especially along the edges.

9. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Yeah, we did it this way too with linoleum tiles and some of them came loose. But with a little of the glue I was able to keep them down. I probably would do it differently the next time and go ahead and put the tiles down while the entire floor pan is exposed that way when I frame in the walls they will help keep the tiles in place, especially along the edges.

Linoleum squares are not water proof so not a good choice if you want to be able to hose it out. A solid sheet of linoleum is much better IMHO.​

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:You can do it either way. My preference is to do the framing, THEN put in the subfloor and linoleum. Because it is easier to repair/replace someday. However I suppose that realistically this is not going to be a big issue for most peoples' coop planning [​IMG] so really I don't see any big reason not to do whatever you please [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun, welcome to chickens [​IMG],

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by