? about whats wrong with mom's Ringneck Dove

ChickenDreamer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Northern Ontario
She says its not acting itself, less social, does not want to bathe and has stopped laying eggs.
She did say she found yellow in the chest area feathers, no shell.
The most obvious change to me is the quality of the sound it makes...it sounds like a dog's squeeze toy now and no longer makes its old "talking" sound. Dad says it "mouth breathes" in a away it didn't previously. There is no discharge of any kind and the eyes are clear.

A guest picked it up and was possibly to firm with it, really cant say for sure.

Ideas? My parents are pretty attached to this bird and any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Angela.

I'm guessing the yellow is a stain? Or is it a lesion or crusty stuff of some kind? Look in the mouth and tell us what you see. Extra mucus (stringing from top to bottom of mouth), yellow cheese-like lumps that can be scaped out, or yellow/white bumps that look more like pimples, which cannot be scratched/rubbed out. Also, what do the droppings look like? Watery (either just very thin in general or if there is mostly clear fluid with some solid matter), bright green, yellow or whitish even? Is the cere (nose) or eyes watery?

I had a chance to look at him last night. Nothing notable in the mouth or throat, all is pink. He did have some drainage from one eye, that is new. I didn't see what had been on his chest but mom had the impression that it had sat on/crushed its egg but no shell was found and he has not layed one since. He still sounds strange when "talking" but I did not notice any gaping mouth or apparent resp. distress. I located a feed store that sells avian antibiotics but they are not open until tomorrow....its run by a vet so I'm hoping they can assist her with an appropriate med/dosing. Is it possible, as with chickens, that an egg was crushed on the inside?
Oh also there has been no change in droppings.

Sounds like he has an eye/head cold. Respiratory infections usually aren't hard to treat. Terramycin should be find to treat him with, and easy to find at Tractor Supply and other similar stores. If you do get Terramycin, it's 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 7-10 days. Should clear him right up!

Back
Top Bottom