about worms - when i butcher, should i be able to tell ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PunkinPeep, Aug 12, 2010.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I know some people say to worm periodically, and others never do. I haven't wormed my chickens ever, but i've thought about the worming issue, and i'm wondering if i could kind of do an up-close spot check when i butcher. I'm butchering a few roosters this weekend, who have been with the flock for their whole lives, so i would expect that their worm load would be similar to the girls. But i don't know how to tell. Should i disect their intestines? [​IMG]

Do you know?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yuckers! Sure, why not? Inquiring minds want to know! I've never done it...roundworms should be alive and wiggling(maybe) like tiny snakes if they're dislodged from the innards, they could still be attached as well. They should be kinda pale white in color, threadlike and about 1.5 inch long max. Let us know what you see, if you can see them. Dont forget to wear plastic gloves! Thanks.

3. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    At the risk of sounding like i don't know what i'm doing (i don't), why do i need to wear gloves?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you're going to disect the gut and there's worms in there, I wouldnt want them trying to crawl up my fingers or worse yet....there could be some other type worms that could pass through pores on your fingers!

5. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] again

and thank you.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Actually, I was kinda hoping you'd change your mind and I wouldnt blame you....if you dont want to do it, it's ok by me!

7. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Ha! Well, i would like to do at least one or two, but i don't know if i'll be able to manage the gloves in between now and Saturday morning, so it may not happen this time. I probably will do it at some point though - now that it has occurred to me. I really want to get it from the horses mouth on how wormy they may or may not be.

Curiosity.

8. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    I have never wormed my birds and neither do I intend to, but of course that's just my personal choice. I know store bought chickens are given all sorts of things and we still eat them, but for me, that's the beauty of raising my own poultry, in that I get to eat meat and eggs which are still just as pure as nature intended.

I would suspect you'll be able to see worms if there are any present in your birds.

9. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I feel the same way - about not wanting to worm my birds. But in the face of those who say things like, "you'll pay in the end," etc., i think i want some mental justification that my chickens really are just fine. I fed them a bunch of cayenne pepper seeds tonight. That's more my brand of worming chickens. [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you ever see worms in their poop, it's too late, it means they have an infestation and need to be wormed or they'll die. I never wanted to worm neither when I first got mine. I went the DE route too, faithfully adding it to their feed...talk about false advertising, sheeesh! My girls were loaded with worms! I learned real quick that our soil here (wet,hot, swampy) is very condusive for worms and had to start a worming program unfortunately. I've had no problems with those nasty buggers since. I think alot of it depends where a person lives, soil types, weather etc...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by