1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

? about wrinkled eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2overeasy000, Jul 31, 2011.

1. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    All my laying hens get layer pellets and crumbles, oyster shell and have a sandbox for bathing and eating little pebbles. I've done some reading and have found some to say that it may be a calcium deficiency. But, I find that hard to believe with them getting plenty of oyster shells. Does anyone have any idea why I would be getting a wrinkled egg. It seems like it is just the one hen. It doesn't really bother me, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something wrong with the hen that I could help fix. Thanks for any advice?

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I wouldn't worry about it, I have a Black Star that has laid wrinkled eggs from day one. My chickens are on Purina laying pellets and get plenty of free range time so like you, I'm sure it's not calcium deficiency. On top of that she is a laying machine! [​IMG] And, I have hatched out 2 babies from her eggs, so I think that is just the type of eggs some chickens lay [​IMG]

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It's not a calcium deficiency. Wrinkled eggs are usually caused by respiratory problems.

4. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    They usually get out to free range about an hour a day as well. I have not noticed any sneezing or panting. What would be some signs of respiratory problems?

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Labored breathing, stretching neck to breath, discharge from eyes or nostrils. Many respiratory infections also affect the shell gland which results in the wrinkled eggs. Sometimes the hens recover from the respiratory infection but the shell gland remains damaged.

It may be one of things that you'll never pin down... but something is causing the wrinkled eggs. It may go away just as suddenly as it appeared and all you can do is shrug your shoulders.

How are you feeding oyster shells? Are you mixing any calcium supplements into their feed that would cause them to get too much? Too much can cause problems as well as too little.

6. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    Thanks for the input. I will keep an eye out for any respiratory problems. She seems healthy to me so far. I wonder if being attacked by a Red Tail Hawk in the fall has anything to do with it. I just remember that our RIR, which is the one that is laying the wrinkled eggs was attacked in the fall and bleeding from the neck. But, I was able to patch her up and she has seemed fine to me ever since and still lays almost daily. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by