Above Ground Swimming Pools

duckduckturkey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Hi!

I'm thinking about getting an above ground swimming pool and planting it with various water plants to attract ducks to the yard.

Anyone with experience on the topic?

My concern would be, if there is one brand of above ground pools that lasts better than others. Also, if there are certain plants that are best avoided. I have noticed water plants can have very strong roots and I' d hate to get it planted only to have the roots destroy the bottom lining and have all the water drain out.

Are floaters my best bet?

Thoughts appreciated

How do you plan to maintain the pond/pool once you have it up?
And I've got no idea about how to attract wild ducks, so not sure setting up an above ground pool and planting it would work or not.

I have met people who have ducks in their built in swimming pools. Don't know how they maintain them.

I've had numerous smaller ponds without a hitch. I was thinking with careful planting, I could get away with fish and snails for clean up crew and just use one of those solar power pumps to aerate the water. There are a number of plants that can handle the high amount of waste produced, unfortunately, the ones that come to mind, lotus and edible water chestnut, don't necessarily do well in Oregon. Lotus, when it does do well, has roots as damaging as bamboo. The water chestnut needs high oxygen. Both need full sun. (We Oregonians believe the Sun is just a myth, a kin to the Loch Ness Monster. All those photos Californians show us are doctored fakes. ) Interestingly enough, Lotus can handle Oregon Winters, it's the summers that kill it. Hyacinth also handles the waste well, but ducks might eat it up too fast in a pool size pond.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom