Abrupt Behavior Change at Weaning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Oct 21, 2019.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am watching a game hen that hatched a brood back on July 15, 2019 particularly closely. She has been a typical broody caring for chicks and leading them about as they forage an area approximating 6 acres. As of yesterday when her chicks were 97 days post-hatch, she quit clucking and her offspring, now juveniles immediately began moving about as a group independently of their mother. The cockerels also started fighting relatively hard but still went to roost together. The juveniles all went to same location they used as roost for last 60 days or so. The hen moved roosting site into garage with another that also just weaned here similarly aged brood. Both hens began concentrating ranging habits in a location that overlapped less with their offspring and was more overlapping with cock pens just moved into open from woods where they are kept during heat of summer. The hens have also completed their molt.

ValerieJ, NHMountainMan, aart and 2 others like this.
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great observations!

I usually don't anthropomorphize...but immediately visualized these hens conversation about all the trials and tribulations raising 'children'.

ValerieJ and NHMountainMan like this.
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Humans are not special enough to set apart beyond capacity to manage fire.

aart and NHMountainMan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: