Abscess?? Injury?? Infection?? On my Ayams back left rump.

Joyze172

Songster
Nov 11, 2018
Central Wisconsin
After dealing with chicken mites (gone now) , grain mites (still trying to get rid of them) I went out to spend time with my chickens and my ayam ( Blacky) seemed to not be her self. I caught her and put her in a crate to later evaluate.

After evaluating her I found this lesion and a glob of feathers on back of neck missing. I suspect injury from a dog that was visiting and left out overnight. I cleaned it, scrubbed it, soaked it then applied Neosporin and pine tar (she was eating herself) and tried to wrap it. All my wrapping and covering attempts failed so far the last 5 days I have been cleaning it and applying Neosporin x 2 a day.

last night I noticed she had diarrhea and this morning she did too. She has been less active or interested in food but will chase grass hoppers. I have been putting her in with the special needs group as I thought she was depressed.
What can I do for my poor sweet heart?

A1FCFDF4-C5B7-4BE4-BEE1-0A4974C47610.jpeg 3A547A73-F88F-4B8F-A5DC-C4D7020DCA7E.jpeg

Last edited:
After dealing with chicken mites (gone now) , grain mites (still trying to get rid of them) I went out to spend time with my chickens and my ayam ( Blacky) seemed to not be her self. I fought her and put her in a crate to later evaluate.

After evaluating her I found this lesion and a glob of feathers on back of neck missing. I suspect injury from a dog that was
Cleaned it, scrubbed it, soaked it then applied Neosporin and pine tar (she was eating herself) and tried to wrap it. All my wrapping and covering attempts failed so for the last 5 days I have been cleaning it and applying Neosporin x 2 a day.

last night I noticed she had diarrhea and this morning she did too. She has been less active or interested in food but will chase grass hoppers. I have been putting her in with the special needs group as I thought she was depressed.
What can I do for my poor sweet heart?

View attachment 2759956View attachment 2759955
Looks like a wound from either pecking, or a gash from a spur.

I'd wash the area, trim away feathers, & apply Triple Antibiotic Ointment. But she must be separated, or at least in a cage in the coop, or run while she's getting treated.

Looks like a wound from either pecking, or a gash from a spur.

I'd wash the area, trim away feathers, & apply Triple Antibiotic Ointment. But she must be separated, or at least in a cage in the coop, or run while she's getting treated.
I trim my roosters spurs back so it’s possible. He is gentle, in 5 years he has never hurt them but it could happen.

I was kind of leaning more to an animal injury like dog. This hen frequently jumps the fence and our friends had there dog out all night in the yard. The chickens are fenced but she likes to jump over. She was missing a fist full of feathers in an odd place for the rooster, base of back of neck. My rooster is 5 and I have never had any of his 30 ladies with feathers missing where she did.
Do not wrap, it needs to air heal?
I have been leaving it air… however I take 2 steps back because she is eat herself there… it’s so gross. It can’t heal if she is eating her wound.

Any chance you have a hen saddle you can put on her? If not, maybe look up how to fashion one on your own. That's the only way I know of to keep her from disturbing it but not wrapping. Is she the only one with anything like this?

I trim my roosters spurs back so it’s possible. He is gentle, in 5 years he has never hurt them but it could happen.

I was kind of leaning more to an animal injury like dog. This hen frequently jumps the fence and our friends had there dog out all night in the yard. The chickens are fenced but she likes to jump over. She was missing a fist full of feathers in an odd place for the rooster, base of back of neck. My rooster is 5 and I have never had any of his 30 ladies with feathers missing where she did.

I have been leaving it air… however I take 2 steps back because she is eat herself there… it’s so gross. It can’t heal if she is eating her wound.
It could be a dog bite wound too. But the hip is the most common place for a Gash wound from a rooster to happen too.

It's probably itchy, & sore. Probably why she keeps pecking at it. If you have a large hen saddle to put that on her, & so it drapes loosely on the wound, adding some extra protection.

Also keep it moist, the wound will heal better when moist, & getting lots of air.

Any chance you have a hen saddle you can put on her? If not, maybe look up how to fashion one on your own. That's the only way I know of to keep her from disturbing it but not wrapping. Is she the only one with anything like this?
I do have hen saddles and tried them.. she is agile and can gut up under them easy.

She is the only one with this injury. I have another Ayam that jumps the fence too but I had just clipped 1 wing before the dog got here.

It could be a dog bite wound too. But the hip is the most common place for a Gash wound from a rooster to happen too.

It's probably itchy, & sore. Probably why she keeps pecking at it. If you have a large hen saddle to put that on her, & so it drapes loosely on the wound, adding some extra protection.

Also keep it moist, the wound will heal better when moist, & getting lots of air.
Dog or rooster i guess at this point I want to heal her. I did check the flock and everyone else is fine. I separated the rooster out, he is not happy!! He has been with these ladies for over 5 yrs. Never separated except for injury or one bout of feather picking where his tail was plucked badly. He is the only one with spurs and they are only an inch and blunt.

The hen saddles i have are long but she figures out how to get under them. She is declining today. I think from all the salve she has eaten and pine tar. Nothing has stopped her. I started nutrition drench and I take her out every couple hours to eat fresh grasshoppers. Thats all she will eat by herself. She is drinking good. I did figure out how to wrap her last night and she kept it on. It might be because she is declining. So sad. I love her.

It's healing. The crust is normal, & maybe itchy to some birds. This crust will fall off naturally during the healing process.

Thank you so much. I never had this type of wound in a chicken and have no idea if its healing, dying tissue or infected. I did manage to get her covered and stop picking at it. She still tries thru the bandage but it is holding. I put more Neosporin on and covered it with those clear tegaderm things for people, they breath. Then a bandage. She can still walk but won't with it on.

20210715_101004.jpg

She is not happy!!

Does anyone know how much nutradrench to give her daily?? The bottle says oral dose but not how frequent. I only have a small bottle so don't want to waste a drop.

I do have hen saddles and tried them.. she is agile and can gut up under them easy.

She is the only one with this injury. I have another Ayam that jumps the fence too but I had just clipped 1 wing before the dog got here.

The hen saddles i have are long but she figures out how to get under them. She is declining today. I think from all the salve she has eaten and pine tar. Nothing has stopped her. I started nutrition drench and I take her out every couple hours to eat fresh grasshoppers. Thats all she will eat by herself. She is drinking good. I did figure out how to wrap her last night and she kept it on. It might be because she is declining. So sad. I love her.

Thank you so much. I never had this type of wound in a chicken and have no idea if its healing, dying tissue or infected. I did manage to get her covered and stop picking at it. She still tries thru the bandage but it is holding. I put more Neosporin on and covered it with those clear tegaderm things for people, they breath. Then a bandage. She can still walk but won't with it on.

View attachment 2760803

She is not happy!!

Does anyone know how much nutradrwnch to give her daily?? The bottle says oral dose but not how frequent. I only have a small bottle so don't want to waste a drop.
Try aloe, it won't make her sick, it soothes, & moisturizes the wound. It should reduce itching too.

Add some of Nutridrench to her water for a boost. Can I see the dropper so I can give a measurement?

Back
Top Bottom