Abscess on wing of rooster GRAPHIC PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Anomar Joe, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Anomar Joe

Anomar Joe In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2018
    Hi back again. This time my rooster has this here on his wing. He's an older rooster and this is the side he is blind on. It popped on its own bit the bottom is still big smelly and hard. And hot. So far ive flushed it out with H2O and water. And put a good coat of blue kote. When hes clamer im thing about a shot of penicillin cuz its still got puss and crap. An additional info about care or dose or other remedies is always welcome. Thanks fam. Its pretty bad. I was flushing with peroxide on one. I have what I need to lance or drain if needed. Consutling my vet tech txtbk also. Thanks again 20180712_151216.jpg 20180712_151010.jpg

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.

2. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    I wouldn't use peroxide on it. I've been told that eats away what is trying to heal. I use alcohol or betadine on my birds if they have wounds. Antibiotics are a good idea, I would put some antibiotic ointment on it as well and maybe if you could wrap it . I currently have a hen that had her skin torn when she got stuck in some brush. She was running to hide from a rooster she doesn't like and it ripped her skin. I use alcohol and betadine on her and wrap it until there's scabbing to protect the open wound. Bless him I hope he heals Soon.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  3. Chickassan

Chickassan Free Ranging

Man that looks awful! He could probably do with some asprin treatment on that. Clean it out good with just warm water. Crush some asprins and add water to make a paste very lightly coat the abcess and loosely wrap it. The asprin will draw out what is left. Bring him inside if you can so he dosen't have to fight the flies.

ashlierami likes this.
  4. Anomar Joe

Jan 13, 2018
    I made him a sling to keep him from dragging it. The peroxide does do that. It turns them white. It kinda helped gage how much was dead. I had cleaned out alot before I thought to take a pic. I used blue kote on a duck with dog bites with great results. Thank you foe the tips. Will get a pic of the rooster sling 2000.

5. Anomar Joe

Jan 13, 2018
    I am definitely gonna try that aspirin treatment. Id rather do that. I made him a sling out of ace wrap so holding a wrapping in place will be easy. My sister (it's her rooster) as him all set up in her encolsed patio. Thank you for the aspirin idea. It sounds easy and effective.

Chickassan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by