Abscess or cancer?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kolijah, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Kolijah

Kolijah Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2014
    West Virginia
    So one of my pullets has a large black lump on her leg. She hasn't been limping or anything else... yesterday when I came home there was blood EVERYWHERE. I was sure there was a dead chicken... but nope everyone was alive and happy and fine. After I got to looking around it turned out the large black lump on her leg had busted open and was the cause of the blood. She appeared fine... the bleeding had stopped, none of the other chickens had tried to hurt her, and she again- wasn't limping or acting weird.

She had this thing on her leg when I got her three weeks ago for free. I didn't notice it though until after I brought her home.

Someone mentioned to me that an abscess could be contagious to the other chickens? Is that true? Anyway, how would you handle this? VERY novice chicken owner here and I'm not sure what I should do or what this even is...

Sorry the picture sucks... she's a nervous bird and it was the best I could get without grabbing her.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did it feel squishy before it broke open yesterday? It looks like an injury, but it also could be a tumor. I would probably watch it to see if it grows, put some iodine or BluKote on it to minimize pecking. If it seems squishy, you could lance it, and try squeezing out any pus. If there is just blood, then I would think injury or tumor.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Protect yourself as if it were MRSA though while you treat her until you know for sure what it is.

4. Kolijah

Kolijah Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2014
    West Virginia
    I've been putting bluekote on her leg. Today the other chickens attacked her and ripped off whatever was on her leg. I have her in a little dog crate in my bathroom with some bedding, food, and water. I covered the dog crate with a towel to help keep her calm. She's in shock though and not being very responsive.

[​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would clean it with betadine, and put some plain Neosporin or vetericyn on it. Does she have other injuries? I would keep her warm and quiet, inside, and hope that she is better by morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by