1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Abscessed Tooth

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have an abscessed tooth and now my face is swelling up. Can't get in to the vet... err... dentist until tomorrow morning and I think by then my eye will be swelled closed. Guess I'll need DH to drive me since I probably won't be able to see out of that eye by then.

Half of my face looks like a monkey! [​IMG]

2. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    Get a glass of warm salt water and swish around in your mouth. Spit it out ,do not swallow it. It might help draw some of the infection out. Repeat every couple of hours.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

If its that bad you probably need to see a doctor or the ER. Abscessed teeth are deadly.

4. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like you need some antibiotics! you might need to go to the er, or see if the dentist will call you some in!, I hope you feel better soon!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yes! ER! Many people have become septic and died from a tooth infection..AND the infection is reeeal close to the brain there...
    really.. you need a doctor ASAP.

6. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Yes! ER! Many people have become septic and died from a tooth infection..AND the infection is reeeal close to the brain there...
    really.. you need a doctor ASAP.

Agree 100% Very dangerous. Antibiotics can save your life. At very least call dentist or G.P. and explain your situation.

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I did call the dentist this morning, they said it would be a while before they could get me in. I explained that I have an abscessed tooth and that my face is swelling up, they said tomorrow morning at 8:45. Going to talk to DH about the ER idea, the bag under my eye is swelling now and it feels like the tear duct may be blocking. It was starting to swell a tiny bit last night and is just growing...

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Get thee to the ER, now.

Let us know how you are doing when you get back.

Fast moving infections are not to be trifled with.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Best bet is the ER. Dentist cant help really. They cant pull abscessed teeth without poisoning you with the infection an maybe killing you so he will pump you full of meds just like the ER an pull it later.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have to agree with everyone! Get yourself to the ER. This is not something to full around with!!! You need an antibotic at this stage, they can pull the tooth later!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by