1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Absolute stupidity

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormhorse23, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    well, since the chicks were born, ive had them and the adults on wood shavings, which i specifically told my mom that they needed pine. well, guess what? i noticed one breathing weird and wondered if that was connected with the multiple deaths we've had with this bunch. YEP. the wood shavings were cedar. now one chick is dying and the others seem fine. what the shavings were was writting so tiny and i was assured that they were pine. well, pure stupidity or the need to save money took several lives. now they are on pine and doing better. what can I do for the sick chick? it is in another brooder with food and water and a heating pad because i dont have another light.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

The best thing I can think off right now IS GET THEM OF THE CEDAR SHAVINGS!

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    glad you found out they were the wrong shavings before losing anymore. i think it being in small print is bad too. hope you don't lose anymore.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Cat's Critters :

The best thing I can think off right now IS GET THEM OF THE CEDAR SHAVINGS!

i did but its still affecting one and i think i might lose her, shes drinking from a syringe and eats a tiny bit. she seems to have trouble walking though​

5. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I hope your babies will be ok. I said a prayer that God would heal them.

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    my mom has pine shaving tatooed on her head lol. Put them on paper towels

7. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    did I miss something? cedar shavings are not good? I have mine in cedar also...

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Cedar is toxic to chickens. You will want to get them on PINE shaveings...and fast. It causes respritory(sp?) failure.

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    So sorry Stormhorse,hope the little one recovers. Don't blame yourself, we take care of each other the best we can but we do sometimes mess up..the unintentional messing up is forgiven, I'm sure. Hope your baby gets better. [​IMG]

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Cedar causes respiratory illness, you need to get them out of the cedar ASAP.

well, since the chicks were born, ive had them and the adults on wood shavings, which i specifically told my mom that they needed pine. well, guess what? i noticed one breathing weird and wondered if that was connected with the multiple deaths we've had with this bunch. YEP. the wood shavings were cedar. now one chick is dying and the others seem fine. what the shavings were was writting so tiny and i was assured that they were pine. well, pure stupidity or the need to save money took several lives. now they are on pine and doing better. what can I do for the sick chick? it is in another brooder with food and water and a heating pad because i dont have another light.

Try giving a little sugar in the water to keep energy up and some vitamins could also help.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by