ABsolutely P freakin Oed!!!!!!!! ****UPDATE****

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Orpingtonman, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Ok, i hvaae been on here for a while today, going through the posts and what not when i get a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and its my supervisor, with a concerned look on his face and papers in his hand. I ask him whats up and this is what i get.

"Got orders here for you to go to Afghanistan and you leave in 3 months, get you're affairs in order."

WTW was that! [​IMG] i have orders to leave in May 09 but im supposed to retire in SEPTEMBER 09. and all i get is, you're leaving and get you're stuff together? What about my retirement? What about the other 4 times i've gone. Why can't my name be replaced by somebody not as close to retirement. I just don't understand and it's beat up. Thanks for listening.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I'm so sorry!

[​IMG]

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Well that was a lousy way to tell you! I grew up in the military, was in the military and married to the military, worked for the military, etc,, they just don't really care in a lot of instances how they break it to you. I was working at the Ft. Bliss Museum as a civilian and my mom called me to tell me someone from the DOD called me and I was being recalled!! It was in 1990 if that gives you a clue. They left the message with my mother!
    I'm glad your supervisor at least seemed concerned for you, he had to do what he had to do, but he did it nicely it seems.

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

5. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    first, thankyou for your service. i agree with your sentiments. you've done plenty already. hopefully your experiance will net you a more desirable assignment. my neice ships out next tuesday and that has a few in the family feeling kind of down. best of luck to you and again, thankyou.

6. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear this....

Not sure if the Navy and Army are the same when it comes to stuff like this...but could it be because of 'stop loss'???
    My husband left on ADVON(the advance party) Thursday to Ft. McCoy(WI) then flew out Saturday to Ft. Bliss(TX)(the rest of the unit left sat. for mccoy and fly out to bliss today or tomorrow). for 2 months of training, then onto Iraq for his second tour. His first was 04-05 for 18months. This time 09-10 for a minumm of 14 months. He started his 19th year on the 23rd of this month....(2 days ago).

Thank you for everything...even if you deploy again...
    God Bless..
    Shawna

7. Orpingtonman

The Navy doesn't use stop loss right now so thats not the issue. The issue is that they needed a body to go, i have the experience and they chose me to go. But the problem that i have is not going. If i had more time to go, then it would be no problem. My problem is that i have 7 months till retirement, ive already put in job applications, and i would finally be able to see my kids on a regular basis. I ve seen them all of 4 times in 3 years and it kills me. Thats due to being in the military. Its my time in Sept and im due that. We'll see what happens.

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    So how does that work, you go to Afganistan in May, serve til Sept and automatically retire and then go home? I'm trying to understand, OR when Sept rolls around they keep you there until you get the OK to retire, which means it may not happen in Sept for you? And you've already been there 4 times? Sheesh, I wish you the best of luck. I mean that sincerely, I think you deserve a break for putting your time in. (Thank you - BTW [​IMG] )

I got a feeling this is going to happen to a lot of people.

9. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Oh man. [​IMG] I'm so sorry!

10. Orpingtonman

Quote:99% of the deplyments for us are from 12-18 months. I wouldn't be able to retire in Sept. [​IMG] They would carry me over until the 12-18 month term was up.

I already have my "OK" to retire now but that will get superceeded by this now. It sbeat up! Now what am i going to tell my kids? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by