Absolutely sickening!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bama Quail, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Bama Quail

Bama Quail New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Ok, so I had 45 GG about 11 weeks old that I had put into a fly pen. They were doing great and getting very plump. This is the first time I have ever raised quail, and really enjoy it. I went out a few weeks ago to feed and water them and found the wire torn from one end of the pen. This is the assessment: 37 dead, 1 loose in the back yard, and 7 MIA. So now I am going to rebuild the pen stronger, and I have 200 GG eggs in the bator that should hatch around the 22nd. Its really sickening to put that much time and effort into something just for it ot be gone in a few minutes. Dont know what it was, but if I catch it around my pen again its gonna have bad day.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sorry For The Bad Outcome... Kinda Reinforces The " You Can Never Build It Strong Enough Or Make It Overly Predator Proof" Thing Huh?
    Any Design Improvement Plans?

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    So sorry to hear that! How terrible!!!!!!!!

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    get 'em bama.

good luck this time.

5. Bama Quail

Bama Quail New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    This time Im goin about 3 to 4ft high with tin all the way around, and then put a hot wire about 4" from the ground and another 30" from the ground. If that dont do it nothin will.

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Sorry for your bad luck, Bama. I've been lucky on the varmint invasion problem so far, but can imagine how pee'd I'd be if I lost my flock, or even a portion of it to a critter. It's an every evening affair tending to these boogers, and am very open and willing to play critter-detective to thin the population no matter what it is. Watch out for those hot wires, though........ they'll bite ya.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So sorry to hear that. Very frustrating indeed. I'm glad you're starting over though!

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:REAL GOOD START, WHAT YA GONNA USE FOR THE TOP HALF? [​IMG]

9. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear. Glad your making plans to fix and improve the design. Hope it all works out [​IMG]

10. Bama Quail

Bama Quail New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    The top half is chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by