Absurd requests on Freecycle

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mymonkeybug, Jan 3, 2013.

1. mymonkeybug

mymonkeybug Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Reading through the over 400 pages of Craigslist humor here, made me think that sharing some Freecycle requests would be possibly just as humorous.

Do share any from your local Freecycle groups. My new local one isn't bad, but the area we moved from had some totally odd ball ones. I do understand people coming upon hard times and resorting to Freecycle for maybe the random set of sheets or some books for their kids but to request a Keurig because you want one or ask for a newer model car because you don't want to drive your 12 year old car anymore....[​IMG]

I mean, I want an Audi A8 W12 that even if I won the lottery I wouldn't be able to afford so maybe I should just ask for one on Freecycle.

And by all means, please share the crazy things people are giving away too. We could all use an opened jar of relish.

2. ShellLea

ShellLea Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    Canton, Ohio
    The last one I read before I unsubscribed from the emails was someone saying they finally found an apartment and needed help getting some things together for it. The list included:

Living room suite, preferably blue or green.

Queen or king size bed, full is just too small.

Dinette set, dark colored.

Along with dishes, silverware, pots and pans, curtains, bedding, towels, lamps, dressers, and quite a few other things that I can't recall. I started out with a twin bed and some Family Dollar dishes and pans and slowly acquired everything else. Didn't realize I could just make a wish list...

Saw someone asking for a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Keurig, one asking for a ride to the liquor store, and one giving away things in their neighbor's yard because they were pretty sure they moved and didn't want it. Pretty sure?!?!? [/FONT]

3. mymonkeybug

mymonkeybug Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    That is absurd! Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth...[​IMG]

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I'm not on Freecycle anymore because it just got out of control. Some good ones before I left though:
    A couple were looking for someone to paint a few rooms in their house. They said that they were just too old to be doing that kind of hard work. One ad down, the same couple were requesting a pair of bicycles to they can stay fit.

Someone was looking to receive a free cat. In the adjacent ad, the same person stated that she was expecting a baby and needed a crib. A few months later, she was putting a cat back on Freecycle. Didn't need a crystal ball for that one!

5. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

I remember one where a "single mother" was asking for free tvs for her kids, "27" or larger only" because although they had a nice tv in the living room, they only had small tvs in each poor, deprived child's room.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    A girl was getting married and was asking for wedding items (dress, shoes, decorations, flowers, plates, cups, forks, etc, etc, etc.) . Well (in my opinion), if you can't afford to have a wedding ceremony, THEN DON'T!!! Sounds like a visit to the justice of the peace was in order.

7. littlechicklet

littlechicklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    I am also fed up with Freecycle. I have seen requests for I-phones, complete household as ShellLea stated and on and on. What gets me is how quickly the offers are taken. I mean what???? is going on. I have checked my email and say something like a bag of scrap fabric offer jus posted (I mean within minutes) and I send an email stating I am interested but its already taken! really, how? I have had this happen to me several times so I am starting to wonder if they are really listing things or just want to appear to be listing so they can try to get the free stuff.

I posted looking for a good used sofa for my son who just moved out (I had tried to get several offers but "others" beat me to them). Well some lady sent me an email saying she had a plaid sofa in the basement, it was dirty, dusty and had some possible stains/tears. I don't know about you but all I saw was as piece of junk that truly needed to go to the dump. I thanked her for the offer and said I didn't think my son would be interested in a plaid sofa.

And the ones who just moved here with nothing but their kids in tow to get a better job are the worst. How do you move somewhere and leave absolutely everything behind including clothing & toys? I understand it can happen but since joining this group I have seen at least 1 per month. And of course all end with God Bless you or some biblical verse. [​IMG]

8. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

I have a Friend who is a Christan and he owns several rental properties and he lists them for rent by a sign in the yard and also on a local radio station that has a craigslist type show every morning people call fax or email into they post it on their web site and have the stuff listed on the air. He said if someone leaves him a message on his phone (he has it go straight to voice mail so he can screen the calls) he never calls the people back who says God bless just before they hang up because 9 out of 10 times he says they are faking religion to lure you into trusting them. Also I live near a college town if someone is needing an apartment full of free furniture I am sure in the spring and fall when they have the leases turn over they could either pay a few dollars (less than a hundred bucks) or volenter to clean an apartment or two that is full of furniture the students leave behind and some of the apt. managers would be happy to let them have the whole apt, of furniture in order not to pay to have it removed.....

9. littlechicklet

littlechicklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    Good to know. I live in the Bible belt and have seen/experienced these types of people too many times to count. I guess that's why I am skeptical when it comes to someone closing an add in this manner. I personally know some good Christian people but when complete strangers start, end and fill in the middle with religious references I start backing away. I also think these people begging for everything do not want to work in exchange for it. The more I type the more skeptical I sound.....jeeze! I think I will stop now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by