Abused Battery Hens and Farm Animal Therapy for Troubled Kids

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rivers2011, Jun 9, 2011.

1. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    The following article is from a 2009 issue of the Toronto Star newspaper and tells about the work being done at Cobble Hills Farm Sanctuary ("The Flawed Farm") by Stratford, Ontario, Canada. Rescued battery hens are sheltered, clothed (yes, they get sweaters because they arrive completely bald!!!), fed and socialized by children who are crown wards (the Canadian term for a foster child, for whom the government is legally responsible). I have been in touch with the owner, Christen Shepherd, about adopting my sick hen, and she is a lovely lady. Most of the chickens are adopted out to homes where they can free range, and the few remaining chickens stay at the farm for the sake of the children who worked with them. I encourage you to read the article, just because it's a great story about chickens and kids.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/707245--how-bald-chickens-help-troubled-kids

(Nb: I posted this info on my own and Cobble Hills Farm/Christen Shepherd has nothing to do with it, nor have they any knowledge of this post)

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Wow. That is so cool. How lucky for those beautiful hens.

3. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    it makes me feel awful for ever buying store bought eggs. SO gald I have had cage free, happy chickens for the last 5 years!

4. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    I got that same feeling about store bought eggs! Until this article I had no idea just how abused battery hens were. In Canada, many think that our livestock is treated better than in the States, but it's the same around the world. Is cheap food really worth the cost of horrendously abused animals?

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

That was very touching. Cancer researcher and animal rescuer. Nice couple!

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    That is such a sweet article and project. Thanks for sharing.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a heartwarming story.

8. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    Oh my Goodness!! They look so sweet! After watching most of Food,Inc my family has agreed on a fastfood ban. Now I can see I'll not be buying eggs, just waiting for my chickens to do their "natural" thing [​IMG] I realize my one family isn't going to change the entire industry, but I know I am NOT contributing to it either. Thank you so much for sharing <3

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    This is why I started raising my own chickens. I was not going to promote that kind of treatment. Since I live in the city and cant raise all my meat I am looking to buy from farms where I know their animals are raised humanely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by