Abusive Rooster. Why Does My Rooster Always Peck My Hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScrambledAcresFarm, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    Every time I place my rooster in with my hens, he's very abusive! The hard pecks and flogs never stop. My hens eventually stop laying. I want him to fertilize some eggs for my incubator but it's just not happening. When he's lose in the yard he hangs around the pen clucking and trying to get their attention, but when I put him in there he is awful. What do I do? I need a horny rooster!LOL:lau

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    He probably wants to mate but just is not mature, not sure on how he should preform the procedure.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Is he a new rooster to your hens?When I tried putting my RIR rooster with some hens,he had no experiene with mating or how to deal with the hens.He would try to chase them down and it scared them.He was unexperiened with how care for then.I took him out and after a month I tried reintroducing him.He was way more gentle with them and didn't chase them as much.He was alot more nice to them.

4. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    I've had him for 2 1/2 years! He use to breed my Turkens. Who knows. Maybe he's changed his sexual preference! LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    chop chop put in pot. [​IMG] then get a new one. or, get a new one and keep the old but watch out they don't fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by