1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

AC and some mixed breeds.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CrazyHatchingLady, Oct 17, 2017.

1. CrazyHatchingLady

CrazyHatchingLady Chirping

Sep 16, 2017
    Chillicothe Ohio
    I am not understanding my incubation at all. I can take a specific mixed breed eggs incubate and hatch with an 80 to 90% hatch rate. But I got some AC eggs and out of 18 I had only 2 hatch and live. None of the conditions where different and none where shrink wrapped nor drowned. They just died. Same thing with a friend of mines mixed breed eggs. Except with these conditions will also be the same. One or two will hatch a perfect hatch and the others will shrink wrap. My Humity is always between 60 to 70% during Lock down and I learned with mine 95 to 99 degrees is perfect. Eggs I get from my dad produce tiny offspring but they hatch at 80 to 90% as well. I don't understand why my friends eggs and the AC eggs are so much more at risk than my dads or ones I ordered.

BYCforlife likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unless the eggs are shipped, there is no logical reason.

3. CrazyHatchingLady

Sep 16, 2017
    Chillicothe Ohio
    The mixed breeds where and I still had 85 to 90% hatch.... So where the AC chicks. However I go pick up the ones from my friend that I also have so many issues With. I picked up 12 eggs total from him and still only had 3 so far hatch. My dads I also pick up and the rates on those have been good as well. One of my AC even though it had easy hatch has curved toes that I am fixing this time I caught the issue right when it came out of bator and was able to quicky fix. I am getting fustrated on the ones I really want now cause those are the ones I have the most issues with. I mean these chicks get right to the point of breaking through to air sack and just die....

rjohns39 and drumstick diva like this.
  4. CrazyHatchingLady

Sep 16, 2017
    Chillicothe Ohio
    I just had to help my last one out. Though my incubator said on 2 differnt gages the humity was fine he was shrink wrapping and now has also curved toes I need to fix. Got them fixed up and back in bator to dry. Fustrated over these eggs sad at all the ones lost...

rjohns39 and drumstick diva like this.
  5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You may wish to share you experience on one of the AC threads, but as Sour suggests, it would be peculiar indeed, if the hatch rates were breed-specific

casportpony and rjohns39 like this.
  6. N F C

N F C prepare for take off Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

I've never hatched chicks but there are a lot of members here on BYC that have. This forum would be a good place to start a discussion with experienced hatchers:Incubating & Hatching Eggs

Best of luck to you!

casportpony and rjohns39 like this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I have never hatched chicks but, would like to send great hatching vibes your way. Hope it helps.

8. CrazyHatchingLady

Sep 16, 2017
    Chillicothe Ohio
    I keep forgetting about the different places for posts.

N F C and rjohns39 like this.
  9. CrazyHatchingLady

Sep 16, 2017
    Chillicothe Ohio
    As odd as it sounds I have only had issues with the AC and my friends mixed. All my AC just died all but 2 out of 18 eggs. And only 4 total out of 18 I hatched for a friend. However all my others had good hatches. Still lost one or two but not as many as the others. I think I am gonna do a lot of research on this and try the other posting.

rjohns39 and Pork Pie Ken like this.
  10. CrazyHatchingLady

Sep 16, 2017
    Chillicothe Ohio
    Thank you everyone.

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: