1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ac for chicken house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Backwoods Bntms, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Has anybody ever airconditioned a chicken house? Just to keep the temp around 80.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've read of some folks (mostly people who live in desert areas) using small ac units in their coops. If you're in a really hot area, I might set it a little higher than 80 though, just so the outside and inside temps aren't too drastic in their differences. And of course it'd about be pointless (well - super expensive anyhow) unless you've insulated.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    There's quite a few folks who do....
    I installed AC last summer when the heat and humidity were over the top insane and relentless. It is such great comfort to know that when the weather is going to be like that I can just put the AC on and know they have a refuge if they need it. I set it on 80 in the larger building within which their coop resides. The larger building has lots of air leaks so the actual temp is higher but with the AC and fans working together, things are good.
    JJ

4. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I've actually thought of this too, but thought I'd be crazy to ask the question.
    I have (2) window units sitting in my barn that are in perfect condition. I just don't know if I can convince the wife to let me run it. I just couldn't run it all day during the 100° plus temps. That costs dollars!!!!

5. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    My girls love their A/C that DH installed a few weeks ago. It has been very hot here lately. I think we hit 117 one day. They do have shade to sit under and we have shade cloth as well on top of the run. I give my girls a 6 qt. bucket of water with ice as well. When I come home from work, I find that the girls are hanging out in their cool coop instead of being under their covered shade. I have 8 gals who are laying and when it got hot, I would get 3-4 eggs a day. Now that they have A/C, I am getting 6-7 a day.

We also have a ceiling fan in their coop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  6. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Wow!!! Is that a fancy coop or what!?! I'd better not let my girls see that, they'll think their living in the projects...... [​IMG]

7. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:My coop is called the Cluck On Inn....have to deck it out for the girls [​IMG]

Their run:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cluck On Inn
    [​IMG]

8. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    my moms boyfriend told me that chickens don't real get hot they can get to cold and he has had chicken his whole life is that true ??? but i live in the midwest where we only get to 105 in summer but who knows how cold we can get in the winter

9. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    I use just an old barn fan during the day and also have a little kiddie pool in my chicken yard with about an inch of water just to keep their feet cool and play around in, they seem happy [​IMG]

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Utterly false. They will die if too hot. Countless posts here on BYC of birds succumbing to the heat.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by