Acaia Slim...BEWARE!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Western Chick, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Western Chick

Western Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Western MN
    Okay, so I don't even want to admit that I tried it but I did. I fell victim to a "free-trial" offer and along with it came some of the dirtiest marketing tactics I've ever experienced. Let me share and hopefully save someone from making the same mistake.

Let me preface by saying I've never signed up for one of these "free-trial" offers. Plus, I don't believe in miracle weight loss drugs so why I even thought to try this stuff... [​IMG] I guess being bombarded by advertisements...claims from Oprah..."Dr. Oz"...it finally paid of for them. I thought maybe...for the cost of postage... it would be worth a try.

I was well aware that if I didn't call and tell them not to, in 15 days they would start sending me the stuff every month and bill me $80 or so a month. [​IMG]

I was willing to make the call to cancel so, what the heck, I signed up.

I didn't realize that by doing so I also signed to receive a $40 green tea supplement (I called and convinced them to cancel that, to their credit, they did) plus another $60 or so worth of other monthly charges...some online weight loss support club and another discount buyers program. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid. I'm well-educated, I've been around the block a time or two and I am very wary of these offers. They keep the agreements so well hidden, the average person would have no idea what they were getting into.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The only way I know this is going on is because I check my account balance online almost daily. It doesn't take long for me to notice unauthorized purchases. I can't imagine the trouble someone could get into if they didn't regularly watch this stuff.

I'll be calling the company to give them a piece of my mind but in the mean time I wanted to send out a warning.

2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I'm sorry that happend to you.....and I hope you get it all worked out.

I dont even know what Acaia Slim is [​IMG] . I know what the Acaia berry is and that you can get the juice and powder to make drinks at Kroger and better high end health food stores to drink.

I dont watch Oprah...Dr. Phil... or any talk shows.

3. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Several years ago (no, many years ago) at this same time of the year I got excited by Richard Simmons newest weight loss program. So, I ordered the tapes and the vitamins, and was all ready to lose weight for $39.99. Then the charges started rolling in. A membership to a weight loss club, and charges for extra vitamins (they were in the package with the rest, but the deal was supposedly that if you didn't want it you had to send it back. There were also some discount coupons on a cruise (but you had to pay for them). Every month I would call Visa and say "I've got some more things I never ordered." It took a Visa employee who had the same thing happen to her before we connected it to Richard Simmons. I then called the Attorney General's office, explained what was happening and they found out that all the companies that were billing me were satellite companies belonging to Richard Simmons. They said that if I hadn't called them, there would have been 10 or 12 more charges on my bill. Luckily we don't use our charge card so much that things could get lost on the list of charges, and we go over it closely. But think of what could happen. Western Chick, don't feel bad about it, from what I was told, this makes people very rich. It's a scam, just as bad as the one perpetuated by that big guy that just got caught cheating rich people out of their savings and money. But who would suspect that someone like Richard Simmons, Dr Phil, or Oprah would lead you astray. Now I guess we know where some of their money comes from as well, it would be interesting to find out who owns all those companies that were billing you. Thanks for sending out this warning for all of us here.

4. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I did the same thing, good luck trying to find the company to call, when I did there lines were down, so I emailed a threating letter, the $89.00 finally came off but wouldn't you know that charge is on there again this month!!!! I canceled that debit card. Keep us posted on how yours turns out, please.
    Sly

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I've had FOUR girls tell me they're going to try that stupid stuff. I keep telling them IT'S A SCAM!! I'm going to copy your experience for reference!

6. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Anyone who gets nailed by one of these scams needs to call their State Attorney General, not only can they help you get out from under it, but can investigate and possible prosecute the offending companies.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    maybe they will run up enough charges that you cant afford food, so you will loose the weight. but should have enough vitamins that you can have water and vitamins for nurishment. Gotta look at the bright side of things. [​IMG]

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Don't feel bad, you are not alone. I did the same thing 8 years ago. It to was a free trial weight loss gimmick. I too, knew better but thought, what the heck! I ordered, got my free trial and cancelled. Then I got my credit card bill. Every 2 weeks they were taking $125. It was a credit card through my bank. When I called they compnay I always got an answering machine. So I asked the bank to cancel that account, they said they couldn't do that! So they continued to charge until the card was maxed out, then the bank started charging me fees! The first time I talked to the bank I was nice, the second time, not so nice!! They dropped their fees and did not allow any more charges because the card was maxed out. I never was able to contact any one at the company and neither could my lawyer so....I learned a $1000 lesson!!

9. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Only 4 things will help you loose weight.

1. Break your jaw and get it wired shut.
    2. Break both arms at the elbow with full length casts.
    3. Stop opening your mouth every time your elbow bends.
    4. Exercise more.

That's about it. I'm a Nutritional Consultant and a Personal Chef Please listen when I say, DIET'S DON'T WORK, NEVER HAVE, NEVER WILL!

The ONLY way to loose fat is to burn more Calories than take in over a long time period (at least three months= 10lb)-PERIOD!!!
    There is no fast way (other than liposuction) to drop weight perminantly. Those skinny chicks on TV that say they lost weight just by taking a little pill are lieing!!! they were already 98lb...took the pill and today they are 97.56lb ITS A MIRICLE PILL!!! (or they took a poo)

Ladies, Please, don't follow the hype!
    eat right and exercise is all anyone needs.

10. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Yep *points up to Seismic's post*

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by