1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Acceptable ID Bands for Muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Does anyone know what ID bands are Acceptable for makring Muscovies? I didn't see anything about it in the document that's linked in all these Scovy Regulation posts. I hope I am not repeating someone elses' questions, just haven't been able to find my answer & i would like to get everyone banded.

I absolutely REFUSE to pinion, tattoo, or toe clip my precious babies [​IMG]

thanks all [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
  3. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    is this a local or state law? never in my life heard of this for muscovies? seems a bit pointless to me and annoying.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The regulations that have been passed require that all Captive Muscovies be marked with some form of "id" like i mentioned above, i just choose to use bands.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

So the Spiral, plastic ones are out of the question then because they could probably get those off somehow or break them. I wonder if the feed stores sell the leg bands & pliers. You have had no issues with the metal bands so far? They fit loosely enough that they don't irritate the leg, right?

Do you wait to band the youngsters?.. I plan to wait until they're at least 4 months before putting a band on them, or possibly just using the spiral bands until they're big enough for the metal bands.

Quote:

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:It's Federal law.

7. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i live in new york. i go to many animal auctions . they have them locally twice a month. never seen them tagged. i know many people that have them no tags. the auction never said any thing. the only thing the auction worries about is the scrabies tags on goats. they even sell manadrains with out permits.

i go to two different auction companys. these auction will sell anything under the sun. parrotts, ferrets, bull frogs, tad poles,goldfish, peacocks, guineas, ducks, geese,chickens, hamsters, guinea pigs, snakes, rats,llamas , cows, horses,lambs. i cant even remember everything. then they have animal supplies hay, cages, fish tanks, fence, buckets, racks, everything for your critter under the sun.

It is a consignment auction.. most of the time say like a pair of love birds or parrotts . they will sell cage and all food toys everything. maybe 60 dollars somtimes cheaper.
    muscoi. vies usually go for 5-10 dollars for adultsdepending on color and sex. everyone around here want want white or chocolate. i seen a chocolate hen with 8 babies for for 10 dollars each.

i am puzzled. are you sure it is federal. or state? i am going to have to ask some local people. Maybe they are just back woods. yes the more i think about it, it is back woods they have itin a giant tent out side. there was a guy sitting be hind me drinking beer. alot of people go there with their familes. there is usually around 500 people at these things. all day they start at 7 am go to it is sold usually 7am or dark. if it is dark they get lights and generators out.

alot of local people on craigslist sell goats with out scrabies tags. there is a guy who sells mandrains on craigslist with no permit for 75 hen 50 drake. he does it every year., i am puzzled going to look in to it.

8. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i got another question. What if it is a muscovie cross that look like a purbred? you still have to tag? i see alot of crosses at auction.

9. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    critterranch-
    here is the link that explains everything:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=304055

Basically, it is illegal now to own or sell Muscovies as pets. They can be used for production (meat and eggs only) and/or show only.
    The muscovies that are owned must be marked with permanent identification, such as:

permanent leg bands, pinioning, removal of back toe, etc.

I use the permanent metal band that I linked to. Bleenie,
    the plastic ones will not work because those can be removed. I havent used a band on any scovies that are still growing so I cant answer those questions. I captured my adults and put leg bands on them- so far so good. There is no problem with them so far. *knock on wood*

I don't know what age to start banding them, though. Once they hit adult size and are done growing but I am not sure when that is.

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    i go to two different auction companys. these auction will sell anything under the sun. parrotts, ferrets, bull frogs, tad poles,goldfish, peacocks, guineas, ducks, geese,chickens, hamsters, guinea pigs, snakes, rats,llamas , cows, horses,lambs. i cant even remember everything. then they have animal supplies hay, cages, fish tanks, fence, buckets, racks, everything for your critter under the sun.

King's & Chambers'?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by