accepted chicks- YES!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliacale, Nov 29, 2007.

1. juliacale

juliacale Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2007
    Okay so I put two chicks under my broody buff orpington tonight. She kind of clucked but she looked really puffed up 'like a basketball' in the corner of the nest. Whats going on? Is she going to accept them?

Also, if she does how will the chicks get food up there in the nest? (prolly a dumb question but I don't know the answer so...)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    sometimes they accept, and sometimes they peck to kill. food ques.- if no food's in the nest, they either get down somehow, or they don't eat. maybe you can put a small container with food in it up with them?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she accepts the chicks, she will sit on them tomorrow all day and come off the nest the day after tomorrow. As for height, make sure she is on the ground with the chicks. She will also puff up when you get near as she is being protective.

4. juliacale

Oct 21, 2007
    Okay so I should actually take the chicks out of the nest when she stops sitting on them the day after tomorrow?

5. juliacale

Oct 21, 2007
    Sorry, I'm just really confused on how it all works. cause their nest boxes are so high up.

Will the Mom feed the chicks in the nest or will the chicks run around and follow her. and how will they get out of the nest box?

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    The chicks follow the momma hen, it's not like wild birds where the parents bring back food. She will jump off the nest when she's ready and the chicks will follow. If she's letting them snuggle under her, that's a good sign. They usually get even more protective (fluffing up, growling) after they know they have live chicks under them.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Move the whole nest box to the ground with the momma hen, or provide a new one on the ground. Provide food and water the hen and chicks can reach. If you gave her chicks yesterday, she should hop off tomorrow. She will watch the chicks and keep them warm. If she does not hop off by lets say the day after tomorrow, you will have to adopt the chicks. That usually only happens though if you gave her chicks too early in her broody clock. I wait at least two weeks past he start of tight sitting before giving chicks.

8. juliacale

Oct 21, 2007
    Okay, thank you so much for all the help. I hope she accepts them!

9. juliacale

Oct 21, 2007
    She's accepted them!!! She hopped off the nest we moved to the ground this morning. Now she's in the run showing them all the goodies they should eat. Its so cute watching them run around trying to stay close to mom. I love it!! Thank you both so much for all of your info. This site is the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by