Access to Raised coop For Baby Bantams

Chickin Fairy

Songster
May 13, 2023
SW Michigan, US
Hewo! I have a broody bantam hen sitting on 2 bantam eggs. I have a raised coop she's in right now, but am thinking ahead to adding a removable ramp/access point to the side when Mama is ready to leave the coop with them. How do I design something that the chicks will be able to get back into the coop with that is easy for them to figure out? I've seen the random piles of stones to create small steps, but don't have any of those materials on hand and it's about 3 feet off the ground. I'm looking for any creative ideas. Pic of the access point attached. It will be closed each day except for maybe an hour or two when I'm out supervising my birds free ranging.

Attachments

• 20230513_134432.jpg
    20230513_134432.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
Hewo! I have a broody bantam hen sitting on 2 bantam eggs. I have a raised coop she's in right now, but am thinking ahead to adding a removable ramp/access point to the side when Mama is ready to leave the coop with them. How do I design something that the chicks will be able to get back into the coop with that is easy for them to figure out? I've seen the random piles of stones to create small steps, but don't have any of those materials on hand and it's about 3 feet off the ground. I'm looking for any creative ideas. Pic of the access point attached. It will be closed each day except for maybe an hour or two when I'm out supervising my birds free ranging.
You can always make an elevator with an actuator. Make it look like a construction elevator and give them little hardhats to wear. :D

The ramp is probably the easier way to go. Tho instead of the doormat you could use some self adhesive stair grip tape.

If you have a circular saw, you could also, set the blade to something like 1/8th inch deep and kerf the board at a 45 degree angle both ways and make a diamond pattern. Their little baby claws will be able to grip easy.

Kerf Bending Plywood - FineWoodworking

You can always make an elevator with an actuator. Make it look like a construction elevator and give them little hardhats to wear. :D

The ramp is probably the easier way to go. Tho instead of the doormat you could use some self adhesive stair grip tape.
I thought of an elevator, but I think that would really confuse them lol. Thank you for the tape idea!

If you have a circular saw, you could also, set the blade to something like 1/8th inch deep and kerf the board at a 45 degree angle both ways and make a diamond pattern. Their little baby claws will be able to grip easy.

Kerf Bending Plywood - FineWoodworking
Hewo! I have a broody bantam hen sitting on .
So got home and saw the saw sitting there so scampered to selection of samples and selected a soiled semi straight cut to show the simple sound way I suggested of securing your little saplings back in to the safe secure sound sleep for a silent knight.

Don't ask me why I just wrote it that way. 😁 Don't mind the chip out. I wood have used some carpenters tape to secure the sides of the would.

20230519_203302.jpg 20230519_203233.jpg

Last edited:
So got home and saw the saw sitting there so scampered to selection of samples and selected a soiled semi straight cut to show the simple sound way I suggested of securing your little saplings back in to the safe secure sound sleep for a silent knight.

Don't ask me why I just wrote it that way. 😁 Don't mind the chip out. I wood have used some carpenters tape to secure the sides of the would.

View attachment 3511805View attachment 3511807
😂 Fantastic alliteration (you could have said "silent slumber" at the end there, but the rest made me smile)!! I'll see if I can do this before hatch day. What a great idea and thank you for the visual!!

😂 Fantastic alliteration (you could have said "silent slumber" at the end there, but the rest made me smile)!! I'll see if I can do this before hatch day. What a great idea and thank you for the visual!!
Yes I could have. In fact I thought of it after an thought "DAMN IT!" I even had a whole other paragraph more to add. Hind Sight IS ALWAYS 20/20.

Words like "their steady sloped upward struggle" and "as the sun settles down so do their chirping sounds and drift to their secrets spaces in their snoozing slumbered dreams"

Save me, I slipped into this downward spiral. I can't Seem to Stop

Back
Top Bottom