1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Accident prone kids?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Camelot Farms, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Anyone else have a child that they would like to put in a bubble?

9 yr old DD just burned herself AGAIN. She watched me take a hot cookie sheet out of a 400 degree oven and set it on the counter. She started telling me a story about what was on TV and was flittering around the kitchen and leaned right onto the pan. So now she has a 2nd degree burn (maybe 3rd) on her upper arm in the shape of the corner of the pan and the edge of it.

2 months ago DS put the same pan in the sink when he took it out and she reached under it to get a dish rag and put a 3 inch burn on her wrist.

I wont even go into all of the things that have happened in between.

Someday someone is going to turn me in CPS for abuse... gah!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh my gosh! I hope your daughter heals quickly.
    My DD was extremely accident prone as a child. I was too, for that matter.
    We made an interesting observation when my DD was about 16 that partly explained her clumsiness. She has two entirely different feet. One is long and narrow (like mine) and one is short and fat (like her dad). No wonder she couldn't walk two feet without falling down. [​IMG]

3. key west chick

key west chick Songster

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    My kids aren't but my SIL is. Holy cow the chick is uncoordinated like you wouldn't believe.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    dh has so many childhood scars it's unimaginable...the worst from jumping out of a tree and hitting a jagged tree stump that tore up his posterior. But plenty of others. It's a wonder his mother survived the worries he gave her.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    I was one of those accident prone kids. As a left handed dyslexic with a lazy eye I was picked on constantly by the
    'normal' but vicious kids. I tripped a lot. I always dropped stuff and was never allowed to handle glass in any form-except for my glasses which I broke several times and had huge clumps of duct tape holding them together. I remember I accidentally spilled my glass of milk during supper and my father tossing the rest in my face with a sharp reprimand. Everybody laughed. Then people began to wonder why I was such a loner.

Some days I'm surrounded by youngsters who know I won't yell at them for being clumsy. I tell them they'll grow out of it and God is teaching them how to deal with life's challenges. Just keep moving forward and keep trying.

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I still am incrediably clumsy. Which is sad, as my hobbies include fire dancing and knife juggling (never been hurt with either, but i'll fall the second a performance ends). Even have a statewide silver medal from a dance championship... 30 mins later I trip climbing on the bus and break my ankle. [​IMG]

My Evan is equally clumsy, and hard for hearing as well, with my wheelchair and his deafness we're a mess, but we manage.

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Yea I was one of those kids too, Now I am one of those adults. Only one of my kids inherited my "gracefullness". That poor kids. I apologize to him all the time. Forget sports he would kill himself. Stairs are a dangerous thing. Neither of us are allowed near campfires per my husband. Car doors and the front door are dangerous to us both. The pediatrician doesn't even blink when something happens now. Granted he has seen me fall down his steps and dev run into the door in his office on the same visit so he has seen us in action.

8. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    In college my pottery professor banned me from the kiln area, after I:

Tried pushing up my glasses with a clay coated hand (I was working on the wheel), promptly sneezed out globby clay snot onto my lab buddy, we decided that was a sign for a break, and headed to the cafateria, where my coke got stuck in the soda machine, so I yanked it loose, and it hit the floor, exploding soda all over the boots of said lab buddy, who then took me back to class and phoned the janitor, so I put my piece up, and fell down a ladder onto a blocking table. This was all with the first 2 hours of class, I spent most of that semester in the glazing room (I have steady hands) and was utterly forbidden from going near the kilns (prof. said the insurance couldn't cover a cremation).

9. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

10. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Yeah, AL, my lab buddy dropped the class halfway in.... I suspect I helped guide that choice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: