Accident with chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sakmeht, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Hi everyone,

We have 2 week ameraucana chicks that have been going outside in an outside pen made of metal frame and hardware cloth and we use a heavy-ish top on one side as a cover. We move it to place them in and out and I was using it today as a separator to get access to the chicks more easily by dividing their pen in half. I was out there because a strong wind and rain blew in suddenly and the divider blew over and down onto most of the chicks. The are all apparently okay except for one blue ameraucana (Wayne Meredith lines, I'm heartsick here!) who took the brunt and there's a wound at the top of one wing. I spread his/her wing and it appears functional. But she was on her back at one point with wings spread and head turned and tucked under her body and I thought she was a goner but when I righted her up she ran just fine. However, her neck might have been wrenched. She's looking off to the left and doesn't appear to be able to move it around to the right yet. Otherwise, she appears okay. I have them back under the light in their brooder and we've applied blue kote to the wound. Is there anything else I can do at this point? I'm absolutely horrified that this accident happened and will be modifying my outside setup to be safer in the future. Thanks!

Sarita

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    So sorry this happened to you guys! I hope your little one will be ok. One of mine impaled themselves on a wire we were using to hang their brooder thermometer when she was like four days old. The wire made a big slash in the lining of her right wing.

She was healed up in a few days, and has no trouble now.

I doubt there is much you can do about her neck - hopefully she will start stretching in the other direction, but if she's able to walk and move around, I doubt there is any nerve damage. You might have to rename her Lefty.

3. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Yikes!

Give her a little time. Hopefully, she just needs to stretch. Think about it: if you were stuck under a heavy divider for a while, all twisted up like that, there would be no way you'd be able to just pop back up and be 100% again right away. :)

4. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Thanks guys!

I was out there checking again and she looks good. Moving her head all directions and eating. I'm crossing my fingers that we get through this with no losses. :)

Sarita

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by