Accident with my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamahenny8, Dec 3, 2014.

1. mamahenny8

mamahenny8 New Egg

May 16, 2014
    I was putting out the waterer the other day and as you know when you go in the run the chickens swarm. I sat the waterer down and walked away to gather the eggs for about one minute. When I went back to check how they were doing I realized I had sat the jug on my poor Dottie's head and neck. After moving the jug she was flopping and laying there so I helped her up and she seemed ok just wobbly. Now after about 5 days she is very unsteady and slow on her feet, stools are mostly liquid, and she pretty much just sleeps all day with head tucked in wings. She can not get in or out of the coop and if she falls over she can't get back up. I have confined her in my garage with a heat lamp water and food. She is eating and drinking well. Her tail is down and she keeps soiling herself so I end up having to clean her up daily because of the smell. Any recommendations? She is happy to see me and when i go out there she she perks up and will walk slowly over and talk to me as normal. I feel so terrible and ending it for her is just not in me. She is a silkie bantam and she just looks pitiful. Help:-(

2. CoffeeNChicks

CoffeeNChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2014
    I am so sorry.

And I don't have an answer for you.

New to chickens myself (had them as a kid 30+ years ago)

Are the other chicks harassing her in her weakened condition?

3. mamahenny8

mamahenny8 New Egg

May 16, 2014
    No they weren't bother her any that I noticed. I just felt so bad for her out there In the cold so helpless so I brought her in for a few days but she is super stinky and got the boot to the garage. I just feel so guilty. She is one of my favorites.

4. CoffeeNChicks

Aug 21, 2014
    Eating and drinking is good and she responds to you.

She may have been without air for that minute while you were gathering eggs. She probably went into shock.

At this point all I can think of is to make sure she continues to eat and drink and to keep her warm. At some point she will miss her flock. She will need company if she is alone for very long.

Just guessing tho.

Many others here would know better. They'll chime in I'm sure.

5. ernie85017

ernie85017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    How is she doing?
    The lack of oxygen mentioned above is on target and I don't know of anything than can fix that type of brain injury. Time will tell.
    If she has a head injury, she may still rally. I had a girl with a head injury and she came around after a day or so. Scared me, tho.

6. CoffeeNChicks

Aug 21, 2014
    Any change?

7. mamahenny8

mamahenny8 New Egg

May 16, 2014
    She made it a couple of weeks and then passed :-(

8. mamahenny8

mamahenny8 New Egg

May 16, 2014
    I do now have another hen with some of the same symptoms and am wondering if it is Marke's disease??? She is so wobbly and "drunk" she is eating funny and can't seem to see her food well but her eyes don't look like the picture of mareks. Her one foot and leg are a bit swollen and much cooler to the touch than the other. Her door is also a bit curled up....
    I have been researching this disease and read this long article on her about it... My parent had chickens my entire life and I have never seen such problems as I have had in the past year with my flock. We have had dog attack from neighbors dog during free ranging, opossum attack at night so I built a more secure run and coop, then the incident with the one hen and waterer and now this hen... I am beginning to feel like a terrible chicken mamma:-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by