1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Accidental Black sex-linked or BR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JerseyHen, Sep 24, 2012.

1. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I have a DB rooster and a BR rooster over Wellies, BR, SF, LB, BB, DB, and SS hens. I set some random eggs under some broodies to break them and so far I have had 3 chicks hatch black with reasonably well defined white head spots (some larger than others though). I figure they are either a black sex-link male or a BR given the mix of breeds/sexes I have. Am I wrong in that assumption? None of the chicks have feathered legs (not sure if that helps or not since I am not that familiar with the genetics of the leg feathering).

Just a mutt? I know the BR rooster won't make a black sex link, can the DB over any of those hens (like the BR hens)?

(edited to include only acronyms and nicknames for chicken breeds)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, the birds with a headspot could be a cockerel from the brahma over the barred rock hen, a pure barred rock of either gender, or an offspring of your barred roo over one if the non barred hens, either gender. So, you could have half barred rock females, if that makes sense. Your brahma roo over your barred hens will make sex link chicks, but with all your other breeds you won't be able to tell for a while.

I'll bet you get some pretty babies!

3. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    That made perfect sense! Thanks. Maybe I will get some of this genetics stuff after all. lol. Punnett squares were never one of my strengths.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Around here PBR is Pabst Blue Ribbon, a beer. What is it in a chicken?

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Plymouth Barred Rock

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Never heard it phrased that way before.

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    If you have a Barred Plymouth Rock (proper phrasing; variety comes before the breed name) rooster, then any of his children will have some degree of barring since both his sons and daughters will inherit one copy of the gene.

8. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I haven't heard it phrased as PBR either. I usually only hear it as BR, hardly anyone refers to them with Plymouth unless they are refering to White Rocks, and even then they are usually called White Rocks. But I understood the OP's message.

9. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    And here in Oregon if someone says PBR they are usually talking about the rodeo's.

10. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Got it, sorry, geesh, pardon the typo and my ignorance that let to the committing of such a chicken faux pas.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by