1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

accidental chicken mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by grimchkn, Aug 28, 2014.

1. grimchkn

grimchkn New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    hey guys,

i have been lurking a bit as i have recently acquired a fizzle sizzle chicken [see avatar] i think
    it was brought to me recently by a local breeder of them with the threat of 'take it or i will cull it.'

so here i am :)

i rescue all kinds of animals for many years but never a chicken..

it is my hope to permanently rehome/fix it as i am an apartment dweller with
    rats and cats..but it is soooo sweet..it coos..and cuddles..all day if you let it.
    i currently have it residing in a portable crib..it needs a better habitat than i can provide.

i have been reading some of the posts here in searching for a solution and will try
    to post for advice in the appropriate place.

so happy i found this place.. the info has been priceless..
    thanks so much

-grim

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your chicken! If you keep it, be sure to get another one or two- chickens like company.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  4. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island
    Welcome to BYC from Vancouver Island! :)

Curious as to why the breeder want rid of it so badly...does he/she have some issues?

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

6. grimchkn

grimchkn New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    yes..it's legs splay out and it doesnt seem to have much balance..also one of the feet doesnt seem to
    fully extend when it tries to walk.. the webs between two of the toes on the same foot seem as though it is a bit malformed.

breeder told me that it couldn't roust, was getting defecated on by the others. it was pretty filthy when i got it..
    i did give it a bath is some organic baby wash. breeder told me to use dawn..i know **** is great for oiled birds
    but i didnt want to use anything with a strong chemical on it.. and i brushed the feathers out with a toothbrush after i blow dried it.

the reason i guess she brought it to me is that she has 90+ of them and it is some breed i was told they are trying
    to officiate somehow and didn't want irresponsible people breeding it..

i have almost no history on it save that it is ~ 5 weeks old...and i got a ziploc bag of some brown granular stuff.
    and she tried a sandal i guess..didnt say for how long though.

i have hobbled it as per some of the postings and got some polyvisol without iron and followed a wet diet found in another topic here.

it is the sweetest thing..and so cute.. you just smile when you look at it :D

thanks for the warm welcome :)

posted the problem here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/920813/splayed-legs-on-5-week-old-chicken#post_14016890

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. McCluckles

McCluckles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Small-town Ontario
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with the chicken!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the chick, hope it recovers.

9. grimchkn

grimchkn New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    thank you!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are very endearing and she is lucky you took her in. You might try posting on the "Silkie thread." Silkies are very prone to brain damage because their skulls are not always completely covered over. A peck to the head or bump etc., can bring about a myriad of symptoms. I do hope she recovers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by