Accidental Duck with Ancho Chili Cherry Grilling Sauce

miss_jayne

Lady_Jayne
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Columbiaville, MI
aka, "Sometimes Ducks Don't Move Fast Enough and Then They Are Dinner!"

we had a cayuga lose her footing while moving a hoop house the other day and break her leg and puncture her head. sooooo, i learned to butcher ducks. a lovely dinner ensued....

not really 'having a game plan' my daughter Elizabeth and i 'winged' it, pun intended, when it came to the actual recipe involved.

Accidental Duck with Ancho Chili Cherry Grilling Sauce

Cut two ducks into desired pieces (wings, thighs, etc. whatev....)
Parboil with skin ON.

Heat grill to 400* F. while creating sauce.

Sauce...
Half of one dried Ancho Chili, sliced
Half Cup sweet and sour cherry syrup (mine can from Ol'Fashioned Hen, it's outstanding!!!!)
1 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
1 TBS Tequila

Cook the first three ingredients down a bit until thickened and slightly bubbly, add the tequila and stir. You don't want it runny, but not too thick. You all know what grilling sauce should look like.
smile.png

Take your parboiled duck pieces out to the grill, throw them on and grill up the skin nice and crisp. The idea is to crisp up, your meat is already cooked through. Taste and crispness is all that needs to be accomplished here, don't get too crazy and overcook things. This is going to go quickly, so watch your meat.

Use a nice basting brush, DON'T cheap out on me here people, and coat your pieces. (nice doesn't mean expensive. look for a good deal!)
Turn them and coat evenly a couple of times. This sauce is spicy, but not a biting spice, a warm spice. It will really compliment the meat. Get it into all of it.

After about two times around, finish glazing and then get it onto a warmed plate. Let it rest for about 5-10 minutes and it's time for supper. The cherries and ancho chilies REALLY work well together. The vinegar and tequila bring a little acid into the dish and kick it into gear.

Literally, there was NOTHING left after dinner. My son didn't want dessert. He ate more duck. This kid is a dessert maniac. He picked the bones clean.

Enjoy!

12425_hpim2464.jpg

12425_hpim2465.jpg

12425_eh_voila_its_duck.jpg

12425_grilling_duck.jpg

12425_james_likes_duck.jpg

I ADORE roast duck & the fam cannot stand it. I'd like Miss Jayne to adopt me & cook me some duck, except (oh yeah) I think I am older than she is!!!

Quote:
uh, i would LOVE to share with you, but i cannot because there is NOTHING. not a crumb, a shred. nada. i actually caught our oldest Hannah sucking the juices off of hers!
th.gif

OMG...that sauce sounds AMAZING!!!

:::Hungrily eyes Welsh Harlequins and a fatt buff mutt standing outside the patio door begging for treats:::

Okay, so the FIRST duck had an accident, but where did you get the second duck??? Did it have an "accident" too?

Back
Top Bottom