Accidental hatch

menkot

Songster
15 Years
Jun 1, 2007
We went on vacation and had someone else tending the animals. There was a miscommunication, and the eggs were left. When we got home, we had a broody quail setting. I left her alone because the eggs were already developing. Can I leave them in the pen with the rest of them? They are in a 4x10 flight cage that sits on the ground with another hen and a rooster. I took 2 out because she is still sitting, and they were running around the pen. I have them under a heat lamp but would like to put them back with her when the hatch is done. They are tuxedo quail if that makes a diference.

It depends on the birds in the pen. Sometimes they do fine, sometimes you have a bully that will kill the chicks. It's probably safest to keep them in the brooder, but if you choose to put them back in, watch them closely.

It depends on the birds in the pen. Sometimes they do fine, sometimes you have a bully that will kill the chicks. It's probably safest to keep them in the brooder, but if you choose to put them back in, watch them closely.
So far, they act like they are supposed to be there. They don't bother them at all. There are 7 running around with them now. One chicken was determined that one of them was its mama. It followed her everywhere. She wasn't phased. The broody hen is still sitting.

Back
Top Bottom