Accidental "rooster" in hen order.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yeshuaisiam, Apr 1, 2012.

1. yeshuaisiam

yeshuaisiam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    We ordered hens back in October of 2011. Well lo and behold, one of the hens turned out to be a rooster!!!

We are kind of inexperienced with roosters. This batch of chickens consists of 10 hens, 1 rooster. They are full Rhode Island Reds. We just don't know what to expect, how many of the eggs will be fertilized, or what.

If we put the eggs in the fridge can we still eat them as normal eggs (collected twice a day)?

Also, approximately what percentage of the eggs will be fertile and is there a way to tell? I read about using a candle, but these Rhode Island Red (we free range) shells are THICK!

Anyway, I appreciate all answers, tips, advice. :)

2. gabirder

gabirder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    They may all be fertile, but that is no reason not to eat them if they are collected daily.

3. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Nothing wrong with eating fertile eggs. Or you can hatch them and sell of the chicks.

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    You can not tell the difference with fertile and un-fertile eggs when you are eating them. You fertilized eggs just as long as unfertilized ones... even if you don't collect them every day.

The eggs will not start to develop with chicks unless a broody hen starts to sit on them in a nest for several days. The type of chicken you have does not go broody easily.....so you don't need to worry. Also in the future you can have the joy of your very own chicks if you put some of the eggs in an incubator!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you look at your eggs in the skillet closely you will see a tiny white or opaque bullseye somewhere on either side of the yolk if it is fertilized, and with a ratio of 1 to 10, they should all be. Many hens' eggs will be fertile 2 days up to 2 or more weeks after mating with a roo. Fertilized eggs are no different to eat than unfertilized as long as they are collected daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by