Accidental rooster (who we love) - need help with crowing please 😊

Seed223

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
Central Kentucky
We ended up with a rooster in our little group of pullets we bought earlier this spring. He is the absolute SWEETEST thing in the world and we love him but our neighbors aren’t thrilled with his crowing. I’ve thought about putting a fan in their coop and closing the windows overnight so he doesn’t wake them in the morning. We’ve also thought about putting curtains up to block the light in the early hours but not sure if these things will really help. We really don’t want to have to get rid of him - it seems like they are most annoyed in the morning which I understand. I’ve read about rooster collars but I’ve seen that they can kill them which I’m definitely not ok with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I attached a picture of our handsome guy just for interest 😊 🐔

Attachments

• 67BFDC2A-9520-46B1-9FBE-C1226C8A8F3A.jpeg
    67BFDC2A-9520-46B1-9FBE-C1226C8A8F3A.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 20
He's handsome! I've tried crow collars and decided it's uncomfortable and not fair to him. God have them their crowing to use as a purpose and it's sad their are so many opposed to it. I'd much rather hear a rooster crow then a motorcycle roar! Life isn't always fair!
Amen. I've never been bothered by a rooster crow, even before I had chickens. But when the ATV's come by the house it drives me nuts.

I know!! I think it’s relaxing and reminds me of less busy times.... we do live inside the city a few miles from downtown but roosters are technically illegal (although we do have a noise ordinance which you get fined $15 for each offense). He’s been so great at protecting our hens so I really don’t want to get rid of him (or discourage his daytime crowing). I’m just thinking if maybe people won’t hear him as loudly in the AM if I close the coop windows? But would that be safe? It wouldn’t really prevent all of the ventilation (and we would have a fan inside). I just wish I could figure out a way to keep him quieter in the morning (but I do realize he’s a rooster 😂). And yes, I love the egg idea!! Once our hens start laying a lot we are going to do that.... today we are bringing cookies 🤣

I know!! I think it’s relaxing and reminds me of less busy times.... we do live inside the city a few miles from downtown but roosters are technically illegal (although we do have a noise ordinance which you get fined $15 for each offense). He’s been so great at protecting our hens so I really don’t want to get rid of him (or discourage his daytime crowing). I’m just thinking if maybe people won’t hear him as loudly in the AM if I close the coop windows? But would that be safe? It wouldn’t really prevent all of the ventilation (and we would have a fan inside). I just wish I could figure out a way to keep him quieter in the morning (but I do realize he’s a rooster 😂). And yes, I love the egg idea!! Once our hens start laying a lot we are going to do that.... today we are bringing cookies 🤣
My rooster wasn't so loud in the morning but if he heard me come home, he would crow till I came and gave him attention. If I left them out of their pen and I quick ran inside to get something, he sat at the door and crowed till I came back outside.

Roosters crow, and a long ways away, can be a pleasant thing, but under your window, dang irritating.

I love chickens, and I would not want a rooster outside my house.

Roosters crow, you are not really going to change that.
Ditto Dat!!!

but roosters are technically illegal (although we do have a noise ordinance which you get fined $15 for each offense).
....or they might make you get rid of all your birds,
and others in the area might also be affected.

Here's where Romance meets Reality.
Chickens are loud, even females.

Ditto Dat!!!

....or they might make you get rid of all your birds,
and others in the area might also be affected.

Here's where Romance meets Reality.
Chickens are loud, even females.
Ya I’m realizing that! We are currently insulating our coop so he can’t be heard that well in the mornings. I’ve been putting him in there during the day for a bit when he starts crowing a lot and then he stops (it’s cool here now but I’ll have to come up with plan B when it gets hot again). I looked into our ordinances for chickens and we don’t have any - no limit to the amount you can have and no rooster ordinance. Can you still get in trouble if there are no ordinances? I’m going to start looking into other options if we can’t get his crowing under control. It’s so sad.... he’s the absolute best 😭 💔

Back
Top Bottom