Accidental rooster (who we love) - need help with crowing please 😊

I’ve read somewhere on here about people that have a rooster box within their coop that the fella goes into overnight. It’s a black out area that (hopefully) keeps it dark enough that he doesn’t realize it’s morning until you let him out. Others bring their roosters into the house and put them in a dark room for overnight then put him out in the morning at a reasonable hour. Not sure if either of those things would be possible for you or not but just a thought. :)

Truthfully - go with plan B. As nice as it would be to offer a way to stifle the noise, it really does not happen. I don't think insulating is going to work. Space is what works. Let him go be a rooster, somewhere where he can. Pretty soon, in order to keep him, you are really making things uncomfortable for him. What is best is somewhere else.

He is going to get wise quick, that when you come out, you are shutting him up away from his hens, out of the daylight, he is going to get harder and harder to catch.

Mrs K

Can the rooster sleep in a cage in the garage or house?
A "cage" could be something you alraedy have--maybe a dog crate, or even a really big glass aquarium with a screen cover.

Then he could go back outside with the hens at a reasonable time in the morning.

If he's in the house, either you get to enjoy the crowing, or you decide that this rooster really isn't worth the effort; but either way, your neighbors are much more protected from the sound in the morning. :)

I’ve thought about putting a fan in their coop and closing the windows overnight so he doesn’t wake them in the morning. We’ve also thought about putting curtains up to block the light in the early hours but not sure if these things will really help.

It might help a bit, but I don't think it will make a big enough difference to change unhappy neighbors into happy ones.

I’ve thought about putting a fan in their coop and closing the windows overnight so he doesn’t wake them in the morning. We’ve also thought about putting curtains up to block the light in the early hours but not sure if these things will really help.
In order to block sound you'll have to block ventilation......which is not a good idea.
A fan won't do any good without fresh air for it to blow.

I looked into our ordinances for chickens and we don’t have any - no limit to the amount you can have and no rooster ordinance. Can you still get in trouble if there are no ordinances?

Even if there's no poultry ordinance (which always makes me a little nervous, because some towns think that if it's not mentioned, then it's not legal) there'll be noise ordinances, so that's what you'd want to abide by.

So you meant to say that they are legal?
After I thought they were technically illegal I went back and read the city ordinances and was incorrect - roosters are never addressed but there is a noise ordinance which I am assuming he would fall under. I think we are going to try bringing him inside at nighttime and see if that helps!

Back
Top Bottom