Accidentally bought Dumor instead of Purina.....can I feed it them???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Willow's Meadow, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    My mom accidently bought a 50 lbs. bag of Dumor Layer Feed instead of 50 lbs. bag of Purina Layer Feed......I feed them Purina. Can I feed them the Dumor or should I just return the Dumor Layer and get Purina Layer???

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Purina (greatlakes) makes Dumor for Tractor Supply. At least that's what the TS manager told me. So probably little difference.
    Is the protein % the same?

3. 7961

7961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    MI
    No worries you'll be fine feeding Dumor layer. Dumor is milled by Purina for TSC. It is good stuff and a dollar or so cheaper than the Purina they carry.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Yup, it's Purina, house branded for TSC. Your mom's a sharp bargain hunter.

Think Whirlpool re-branded as Kenmore. Same washing machine. [​IMG]

5. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Was not aware of that at all, so the only difference is the price. Guess the only reason to pay for the more expensive Purina is the more colorful bag and the name! Thanks for the heads-up!

6. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    If you go into your Tractor Supply and they are out the type of Dumor you want, let them know, they always honor the Dumor price and let me substitute Purina instead.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They will also honor and meet a competitors price. A feed store near me sells purina much cheaper than TS but I drive the extra distance to TS for 15% finisher, 20% and 24% grower. My feed store only sells 18% grower and layena so TS meets the feed store layena price.

8. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Well actually I compared the ingredients and the percentages of calcium in the Purina were much higher then Dumor and ALL the vitamins that are in the Purina food are not in the Dumor.......the vitamins were listed in the Purina ingredients. So we ended up returning the Dumor feed and getting the Purina.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by